By / Feb 3, 2014 / Inspiration

As the saying goes “a picture is worth a thousand words,” and here at WDL we do agree that photos communicate to us in a higher level. The good thing is that a lot of web designers also agree with this saying, specially if you pay attention to the amount of websites using big and beautiful photos in their layouts. From huge background images to big thumbnails, we have a lot of different examples to show you how images can create an emotional connection with the viewer while grabbing their attention.

Ditto

Two Arms Inc.

Company

MarketPlace

Blackhouse

1. Blue Dozen Design
    February 3, 2014

super nice pictures – pretty incredible how much one great image can do for a site.

.. that lemonade one just makes me hungry though.

2. Website Design Malaysia
    February 3, 2014

New Zealand Opera’s stunning use of photos are mesmerizing!

3. Bianca Board
    February 6, 2014

Some great examples. I wasn’t a fan of photography dominating a website’s design, but I’m DEFINITELY coming round to the idea now. Maybe I should look into getting a talented photographer onboard?

4. Lou
    February 6, 2014

The NZOpera one is brilliant, completely catches the eye and is extremely unusual. I think the anglepoise one is simple but the yellow is so bright in comparison to the rest of the image that it really stands out. Webdesign is becoming a much more about a clean design, and although I have never really though about using a photograph for a page, with the right picture your are definitely going to grab some attention.

5. Dhub
    February 10, 2014

Having a quality picture on the home page is always a great attraction to the user and these websites have some creative ones.

My favourite is the New Zealand Opera it looks very fresh and stands out to me above the rest.

The colours are very powerful yet they do not stop you from looking at the fine detail of the whole picture. I do love the way the flowers change when you scroll on the website that is a great feature for me.

6. Cassandra
    February 10, 2014

Really having a hard time deciding which website I love the most – this is a truly excellent compilation.

I love the photography and grid layout of Big Bite Creative. But Blackhouse does the job so well of just a large piece of sizzling steak. Wow, these websites are beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.
    Cassandra
    Isadora Design – Handcrafted Web Design Company

7. Edge Design – Web Design Agency
    February 14, 2014

Great article, i honestly think nothing brings a website a live more than good imagery.

8. InfinPixels – London
    February 17, 2014

I love using beautiful photography in web design. They add a personal touch and with a single photo you can say a lot. Black House is my fav.