By / Sep 22, 2011 / Inspiration

Here on WDL we really like to keep our readers updated on everything we believe can be a good source of inspiration, including logos. The result of negative space in logo design is an elegant visual effect. Reach a good result and communicate the right message using negative space is not an easy task and demands creativity and talent from designers. Since we really like negative space in logo design we decided to gather a new list of beautiful examples to show you.

1. Design Blog
    September 22, 2011

Because of that negative space usage in logos they become more attractive than normal logos.

• maggie barkley
      September 29, 2011

I love when the negative space appears and you know what it’s saying, it becomes thought provoking…….

2. Pragmatic Design
    September 22, 2011

I just love negative space in logos. Using nothing to say lots! Wonderful.

3. Noemi_letsgroup
    September 22, 2011

We are not passionate about negative spaces in logos because you are focusing on the optical effect and not with the brand, the really important thing. However, it can be a good technique of being selected from your customers but we prefer other creative ways.
    Anyway, thanks for the examples Giselle. Well done!!!

• maggie barkley
      September 29, 2011

half true….the appearance of the negative space can also help you to remember what brand you were looking at….

4. Elizabeth Berry
    September 22, 2011

IMO, the effectiveness of the design of a logo is in direct correlation to how well it visually represents or conveys the brand of which it is a graphic symbol. Not being familiar with the brands represented by the logos you’ve shown, I can’t comment on the brand strength of these logos. But, simply looking at them as graphic images, I do agree many of these logos make interesting and eye-catching use of negative space. Thanks for sharing these. Fun to see.

5. Dzinepress
    September 22, 2011

we must learn from these negative spaces as designer.

6. Climax Media
    September 22, 2011

Gisele is becoming queen of the round ups! We often enjoy playing around with negative space. Pragmatic said it best, using nothing to say lots!

Great post :)

7. steve
    September 22, 2011

Good point about missing the brand.

The highest profile logo using negative space is FedEx. In this case almost everyone sees the brand but misses the arrow.

8. PhilD
    September 22, 2011

I Love this kind of creativity.
    I’ve scrolled back up & looked over these examples at least 10 times already.
    I don’t think any of the ideas were created by accident.
    A lot of careful thought has gone into these.
    Thanks for posting.
    Very inspirational

9. Kasim
    September 22, 2011

I agree with Elizabeth. Although these logos are visually pleasing, in my opinion the logo is the brand.

I looked attentively at each one and i understood the negative space and meaning to each logo, however if you scattered these logos against plain and simple to understand ones you’ll find that the negative space logos will not get as much attention.

First impressions are everything, and i personally think that negative space logos rely too much on the viewer looking for longer than is necessary to get the brand across.

Just my thoughts. Great collection though, i thoroughly enjoyed them as graphics.

10. Jenn Staz
    September 22, 2011

Wow… Filmdog and the cake one really stand out to me! There were some that took a bit longer to grasp and may only be appreciated by designers or designers at heart.
    Anyway, this is a great collection! Definitely not something I think about often enough when designing. Thanks for sharing!

11. Stephen B.
    September 22, 2011

These are great. I took a drawing class and never really “got” negative space until I started looking for it after I read about the FedEx logo and Hershey’s Kisses.
    I’m starting to see things differently and that is the path to being more creative.

12. nay

Thank you for posting!

13. Adams Namayi
    September 23, 2011

Logo designs with artistically manipulated negative space are very effective exciting indeed. They enhance visual simplicity, creative thought and realism in a logo. this space allows visual movement and rhythm. Having used negative space in my designs for over two decades, I can give a true testimony of its power in communication and any other design functions.

Thanks all of you guys who seam to appreciate design thinking.

14. Isan Basu
    September 24, 2011

Hey great stuff!! Very helpful nd innovative!

15. Aditia A. Pratama
    September 25, 2011

Negative spaces is just too awesome for me…just wonder where the idea come from

16. Sean
    September 26, 2011

‘Negative Space’: hmmmm, isn’t that an oxymoron? In any case logos are just a badge, and that’s all.

A logo is an indication of ownership; a brand, as cows were branded. To imbue them with anything more than that, is to make the insignificant, significant; the elevation of which is the spirit of this, piffling, dancing on a pin-head, age.

17. Edwaste
    October 3, 2011

Overlooked was the most famous of all negative space logos, the FedEx logo.

18. Kevin
    October 19, 2011

Thats for the article, this has given me some real inspiration for a project I am working on.