15 Beautifully Minimal Business Cards

By / Apr 16, 2009 / Inspiration

Following yesterday’s business card giveaway kick-off, I thought it would be appropriate to show some more beautiful cards from Card Observer. This time we’re going to look at those cards that are both minimal in color scheme and design elements. This minimalism in design is what makes these business cards so beautiful and effective. But since there’s not a lot going on with the design of these cards, the elements that are printed have to spot-on. That’s why it’s so important to find the right business cards printing services.

If you want to see more details about the cards, just click on the images.

Bryon Darby

Elemental Architecture

Elemental Architecture

Playful

Playful

Precision Networking

Precision Networking

Another Limited Rebellion, Inc.

Another Limited Rebellion, Inc.

1. Freelancer Crowd

Fuse is lovable.
    Bump/relief cards look good when you give them, but are not very practical in a long run as they age pretty bad.

2. Brandon Cox
    April 16, 2009

Awesome post – I’ve been needing to design business cards for myself for quite some time – maybe I’ll get started today… and I’ll keep it minimal. Thanks!

3. PeterS
    April 16, 2009

These are little works of art. Amazing!

4. Seb Haigh

Lovely.
    Biz card fetish can be taken too far (viz. American Psycho).
    These err on the side of great taste.
    Good list…
    STH

5. Nigel Dean
    April 16, 2009

They are all great, but the best has to be Frederick Van. Simply fantastic!

Great post, thanks

6. joão

wow, beautiful designs!
    deliciousing this *

7. joyoge designers’ bookmark
    April 16, 2009

nice clean business cards, thanks for share..

8. @todayinart
    April 16, 2009

I am a huge fan of texture, so Bryon Darby’s is my favorite. Thanks for the post Henry!

9. oak
    April 16, 2009

All of these cards are stunning. This post also reinforces for me the importance of good presentation and great photography to really make the designs sing.

I love the use of camera angles and depth of field and contrast in so many of these pictures. It’s the difference between the perception of a merely good card and a truly great design.

10. Saylor

A L R f t w

11. laura
    April 16, 2009

I am looking at my cards right now and feeling sorry for them… Poor things never had a chance! LOL. Maybe we should do a HandBookLive video manual on business cards. Doesn’t quite fit our format though :)
    Anyway, I feel inspired, so thanks!

12. Kathleen
    April 16, 2009

These are beautiful. I just love minimal. :) It’s not simple and it allow you to just feel everything else instead of what is through the eyes. The texture, the quality of the wording…

13. Suresh

nice business cards… :)

14. Dan O
    April 16, 2009

Thanks for compiling this list, good work. I really need to make some new business cards. I like to go to http://cardobserver.com/ for inspiration.

15. krisis
    April 16, 2009

Fully a third of these are awful. Pretty fonts, reverse type, and embossing do not make something beautiful – and certainly not useful! Pretty things get looked at and then tossed. If your business card has ceased to be a card to both brand and contact your business with, then you have failed.

16. Condo Blues
    April 16, 2009

I’m going to a conference soon and I could use some business cards.

17. Mike
    April 16, 2009

Ugh. Hint to designers: Business cards are white. White, white, white. Or maybe some light pastel shade. Business cards are not black. Why are business cards not black? So that we can make notes on the back about who this person is. A black business card is useless, and I toss them in the trash.

Same for non-standard sizes and shapes. Design is above all about working within the requirements.

18. jax
    April 16, 2009

muito maneiro vou providenciar rs

19. Mel
    April 16, 2009

Minimal ? What is your definition of minimal I am wondering. Embossed cards are anything but minimal in my regard. Minimal is what I can print out of my inkjet printer, not $3 per piece business card wanna-be.

Get your facts straight dude(ette)

20. Bec Thomas
    April 16, 2009

I really like the IQ Vid, but most of those are outstanding. I’m really a fan of clean and simple, I think it makes a strong statement.

21. Allie
    April 16, 2009

Awesome business cards, I’ll have to keep these designs in mind for the next time I need new cards.

22. Duncan Lamb

Guy Kawasaki’s cards should be on this list :

23. aneeskA
    April 16, 2009

Agency ND is my favorite. although as Mike says, its black on the back which makes it difficult to put it for good use.

take a look at our business card. we like to think of it as simple and elegant.
    here : http://tinyurl.com/dzcr34

24. Dolce Press :: Letterpress Studio
    April 17, 2009

Thanks for posting some of our letterpress work, great list!

For anyone interested, you can see more of our letterpress business cards here: Letterpress Business Cards by Dolce Press

25. Creamy CSS
    April 17, 2009

Amazing examples of really beautiful business cards,..

26. Mr Web Design
    April 17, 2009

Good inspiration for people who get caught up in adding too much to their business card. Thanks.

27. Erich Quist
    April 17, 2009

Hi,

Does anyone know where some of these cards were printed? I’m looking for an online printer that will print on a wide selection matte black paper and maybe even offer spot glossing.

Maybe I need to go to a local print shop…

Thanks.

28. John
    April 17, 2009

These are really great designs. I always prefer business cards that are not too fancy but have a strong character and aesthetics to them. This is delicious-worthy.

29. kevin
    April 17, 2009

Very nice cards, love the Elemental architecture.

30. bob
    April 17, 2009

These cards sure do look pretty, but my engineer’s eye just sees a lot of wasted space. Where’s the person’s email, phone, website, pager, and other contact info?

What is a business card, if not a way to pass contact info in a standardized form?

Sorry to say but as beautiful/artistic as these cards are, they’re useless beyond that

31. Shannon
    April 17, 2009

I do did the minimalism. However, the cost of not having the contact information on some of these cards (like Frederick Van) negates the advantage of a neat design.

Do we expect people to google the name? Why make it harder for potential customers to find you?

32. divinefusion
    April 17, 2009

truly beautiful. Thanks for the post.//

33. alex
    April 17, 2009

real classy design here. really helps on my latest project

34. Yana
    April 17, 2009

@Mel Minimal refers to the design not the price. I the only thing on the card is a name, I don’t care if it’s embossed, foil stamped, diamond encrusted, it’s still minimal.

35. Smithwood
    April 18, 2009

I have to laugh at some of these negative comments. A business card should represent you and your brand. And that’s not always “white, white, white”. In fact, if you’re an agency, that will likely get you “ignored, ignored, ignored”.

Business cards have a rich history, and for practicality’s sake, they’ve been replaced by smart phones and computers and such. Now they are small introductions and say volumes about the person presenting them and who they represent.

So I for one find many of these sublime, beautiful, and very very purposeful. I personally don’t want to give a card to someone who needs to write notes on the back. Obviously I’ve not made the right impression.

Rock on!

36. Fred de ConseilsMarketing.fr
    April 19, 2009

Hi,

Nice cards :D

I made also a list of 100 + nice looking or highly creatives business cards

Have fun !

37. rick
    April 19, 2009

RED ALERT! You will regret your black/dark business card the moment you try to write down a note on it. And you can be assured your prospective client will be frustrated as well!

At least make the back solid white or close to it.

38. Best Graphic Design
    April 20, 2009

This is a nice collection of great designs of business cards…loved few of them. Anyways, will look forward for some further posts on this.

39. JLibbey
    April 20, 2009

Most of these are clearly not designed with the recipient in mind. Reverse type and embossing are not friendly to middle-aged eyes!

40. Isaac
    April 20, 2009

These are all classy, but why are they all shades of charcoal and gray? Are they all made BY designers FOR designers?

41. Benny2ts
    April 20, 2009

That’s ‘bone’.

42. Manoballs
    April 20, 2009

Fuse is fantastic, very nice design.

43. Pradeep CD
    April 22, 2009

Really minimalistic…

44. Zayne S Halsall
    April 23, 2009

Hi,

Excellent collection of cards, so thanks for that.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile having a standard method of photographing these cards? The way they’re done now it’s hard to easily compare or judge how the card would look in “normal” lighting and angles…

-zsh

45. Sell Art Online
    April 25, 2009

Great cards i love the logo for Precision Networking and the card design as well.

46. Nate Johnson
    April 27, 2009

Yeah, but what do these business cards GUARANTEE? They’re not dye-cut, foil stamped, OR embossed. They are crap. They probably didn’t even take 25 years to develop.

47. Thiet Ke Web
    April 28, 2009

What a nice design! I’d love the name card of Precision Networking as well!

48. Jan
    April 29, 2009

Great collection! Thanks!

49. Emilio Bello
    April 29, 2009

Very nice and classy. I love it!

50. Matt Fouty
    April 29, 2009

Very cool, my kind of style! My cards probably fit in this category. http://mattfouty.com/blog/?p=71

51. Aaron
    May 4, 2009

Writing on a business card, especially a designer’s card is an insult. Shame on the uninitiated who write on people’s business cards. How many cards do you get in a day that you can’t remember this person’s card. It was the best card ever and you want to deface it???? My gawd, how tacky.

Another reason why some would not want writing on their cards was car dealers. I worked for Honda for years and once a salesperson wrote a price on a card, the unloyal customer would take that card to another dealer. If you want to write notes, use note paper or something else.

I really have a difficult time understanding why anyone would deface a designers card. Idiotic if you ask me. I didn’t even touch on the cultural issues of writing on a business card when in Asia. Just simply a BAD idea. I see this as a largely North American phenomenon, where we simply don’t know any better and care more about fastfood (for example) than business etiquette.

• PG
      February 7, 2010

I’m with Alex. Aaron, lighten up. If a designer’s biz card is such a ‘work of art’ then they’ll more than likely have a version framed behind glass somewhere.

Also, have you considered that the card is part of ‘stationery’? Helloooo… is the letterhead not to be written on either? Geeez.

52. Alex H
    May 9, 2009

What are you so banged up about dude? Are you talking about when you design a biz card with text on it? Or when people actually write on the biz card to deface it? Who cares what you think, people are allowed to design it anyway they want. Have you heard of typography, it is a pretty big deal you know in terms of communication AND design.

53. photo retouching
    May 9, 2009

A really nice collection. I am in need of some inspiration as I am going to redesign my own.

54. amit
    May 10, 2009

very very nice and beautiful cards…….
    great creativity

55. Albert Pak
    May 12, 2009

I’ve been looking into redesigning my business cards for awhile now – this is definitely a good inspirational collection :)

56. pol
    May 12, 2009

let me add one to the list, it’s free to download and use.

57. mauco
    May 27, 2009

I just love the minimalist concept in everything. pity I didn’t get to see these designs before we launched our new card designs. Great post.

58. Raza
    June 2, 2009

I have selected element architecture for my new stationary of Pakistan Stock Exchange

brilliant simply

59. Rahul Jadhav
    June 14, 2009

Great collection. Simple yet beautiful

60. Tabrez
    June 14, 2009

Business cards are not objects of desire which are meant to end up on a shelf in a museum. It is only a piece of paper which serves as an introduction, and yes, it is meant to impress, but there is clearly nothing wrong with writing on a card. God forbid if someone creased one of the above cards! Graphic designed objects are meant to be used, written on, age etc etc.

Regarding these cards, I’m not sure if I’ve become completely cynical with design, by I agree with the comment above that these are cards by designers for designers. Although, the Bryon Darby one is extremely beautiful!

61. printedproof
    July 16, 2009

Great collection. Love dark business cards.

62. ERICA
    July 16, 2009

beautiful collection!

63. Gotham – Graphic Design Sydney
    July 16, 2009

Nice collection, makes me happy we went for a minimalist style for ours.

Nice to see other people don’t want to overdo their cards either!

64. How To Business Cards
    August 4, 2009

Great collection. Minimalist-style cards are my favorite type. Keep it simple!

65. J32
    August 6, 2009

Found the blog post through digg. Lovely clean and simple designs. I like that.

66. Business card Templates
    August 18, 2009

Nice collection. Unique and creative designs.

67. Business Cards
    August 20, 2009

Great collection- I really like the Fuse – design… super clean

68. Xander
    September 16, 2009

These are some truly amazing works of art :) Great showcase

69. Art Smith
    September 17, 2009

Very cool selection of busniess cards. Got to love them.

70. mark
    November 28, 2009

Interesting post, some gems hidden amongst the more mediocre designs here.

71. nitesh
    January 19, 2010

great collectionn….. very cool!!!!!

72. Robby
    February 2, 2010

I have created some nice designs like these and, though we can all see they are pretty, they were rejected by GrpahicRiver. Isn’t it a wierd world when we all like this style except GR ?

73. pinkograf
    February 11, 2010

I love minimalist design on business cards!
    Here a big collection with 600 plastic business cards:

74. Website Design Qatar
    February 28, 2010

Really great collections. Good. keep it up.

75. Jill
    April 6, 2010

This company also have a very unique business card but I don’t have a picture of it: http://www.envisionitmedia.com/services/creative.html

76. Jakob
    May 15, 2010

Nice list of inspiration!
    Very usefull to get a first impression of what businesscards can look like.

77. Jen Diamond
    May 19, 2010

The Letterpress cards are gorgeous. They are so tactile and elegant.

78. 15 Boldly Colored Business Cards | Inspiration
    July 7, 2010

[...] why I like to share them here as well. I’ve already shown you letterpress cards and minimal cards, but now lets look at some that sport bold colors. The designers of these cards took a chance on [...]

79. Scott Duncan
    July 7, 2010

I think the fuse business cards are excellent. It just shows that you dont need a mass of information on your card to make an impression

80. Grant
    August 4, 2010

Absolutely love the first one! I like my cards minimalist and letterpressed–though most of the time those kinds of cards are the more expensive ones. But it’s worth it.

81. Tania
    December 20, 2010

Really awesome collection. I recently start working on designing after finishing my +2, and now i really want to see my design here, thanks 4 inspiring me..

82. Arden
    January 23, 2011

This guy has a beautiful minimalist business card design as well: http://crackpixels.com/go/135

83. Bitten By Design – Syndey Freelancer
    November 4, 2011

It is nice to see the letterpress and embossing being used so well. These days with digital printing being so cheap, it is nice to see people take that extra step and get something done to add to the look and feel of the card rather than just rely on the low cost of digital printing.

84. Anjrah Susanto
    June 22, 2012

my favorite is Frederick Van design.. :)

85. Pavan Somu
    July 19, 2012

Great info for new entrepreneurs. Its worth to highlight & recommend your site for readers searching for business card templates & designs.