30 Examples of Clean and Minimal Website Navigation

By / Mar 12, 2010 / Inspiration

Navigation is one of the most important aspects of a web design, but this doesn’t mean it needs to be overly complicated or over designed. In fact, when it comes to navigating a website, simplicity is a good thing.

Some navigations make use of design elements like 3D bars, buttons, and tabs to appear clickable, which works great for certain web designs. However, clickability can be achieved with a focus on typography, placement, and maybe some subtle line work. For this article, we’ve rounded up 30 clean and minimal website navigations that will inspire you and prove that navigations don’t always have to look like 3D buttons to be effective.

Kilian Muster

Waterworks

Sugar Rush Creative

Websiteburo

Corking Design

1. Nathan
    March 12, 2010

Umm… honestly, I have to admit that none of the above looks nice. I’ve seen a lot of minimal layouts and even more minimal navigation and I can point many that looks better. Perhaps these newest trends aren’t very minimal after all :)

• Alex
      October 18, 2011

“Umm… honestly, I have to admit”, Nathan your mistake here is to admit something that to others can see as minimal websites. That`s the usual mistake we all do from time to time, “admitting” is very different from an opinion. Unless one of the websites above is yours, to admit something like this implies that you had to do something on the creation of that specific “thing”.

Alex.

2. Kilian Muster
    March 12, 2010

Wow, yet another web design blog mentioning my redesigned website… It appears I’ve done something right at last. Thanks a lot for the link!

Kilian

3. Daniel Long
    March 12, 2010

I think there are some great examples of minimal and clean website navigation above. I agree with Nathan in saying that the examples don’t look fantastic as screenshots, but when you navigate to the actual website, this is when the design really shines through.
    The navigation complements the design of the whole site really well which makes me want to carry on looking through the site.
    Some of my favourites – Miguel Buckenmeyer & Co. Brian Hoff and Sugar Rush Creative.

4. Francesco Ciabatta
    March 12, 2010

Beautiful. I love minimal website. Thanks for the list!

5. lono
    March 12, 2010

Have to say i disagree with nathan (sorry)
    I love the collection… take a look at my website as we use ultra minimal site navigation.

James – Lono Creative.

6. F
    March 12, 2010

Erhm, what’s minimalistic about 60% of the examples? They’re “normal” and not minimalistic at all.

7. Dave | SEO Nottingham
    March 12, 2010

I’m absolutly loving “Sugar Rush Creative”, I’ve always been a massive fan of this navigation.

8. Cueburst
    March 12, 2010

A nice list, although in my opinion, a few don’t deserve to be up there.

Loving the majority though!

9. Justin Carroll
    March 12, 2010

I’m a minimalist at heart. Thanks for the fodder. :)

10. Amberly | Web Designer
    March 12, 2010

These are awesome. I love the Jacob Lee menu.

11. Jen
    March 12, 2010

What I don’t like about these types of posts – while the above are potentially inspiring, these types of posts don’t break down the why’s of why a minimal navigation is successful. Why should someone mimic this style in their own work? Why should a client strive for this type of clear minimalism?

12. chicago web design
    March 12, 2010

Minimalism is the direction were heading in. This is great inspiration for our designers. Thanks bunches!

13. Tom Dahm
    March 12, 2010

AWESOME. I LOVE minimalism. I currently reworking my site to better attain my love for minimalism and typography. Thanks for the great inspiration.

14. Elf M. Sternberg
    March 12, 2010

Only two of the sites listed above are retail or business-to-business outside of the web design world; only two sell something other than the site’s owner or his design services. That’s not a heartening observation.

I’m working with a client right now and we’re struggling with an “evolutionary, not revolutionary” reboot of her website. In the AIDA paradigm, she has plenty of attention from her niche. The biggest challenge of all is still what every designer faces: after “Attention,” how do we go to “Interest, Desire, and Action?” She has a broad category scheme for thousands of products, and designing the home page and interior wayfinding to support visitor clarity with respect to the “Why am I here?” and “What should I do (other than leave)?” questions has occupied much of my time recently.

The examples here are all boutique and, quite frankly, the Faberge’ eggs of navigation. Pretty, but do they really help visitors find what they want?

15. Web Design Soul
    March 12, 2010

These websites are great. I love Infintium’s Navigation Menu.

16. Web Design by 314media.com St. Louis
    March 12, 2010

good resources and excellent examples. .. I’m a big fan of minimlaistic design so these are great! Shout’s my personal fav…

• rob
      January 3, 2011

Great list. Some fantastic navigation options on here.

17. Lava360
    March 12, 2010

one of the most important part of a website and you find some great navigation’s here. very inspiring and useful

18. Peter V Cook

Another great example: http://www.storypixel.com

• Darlinton
      March 15, 2010

No, is not a good example, looks bad..

• Drew
      March 29, 2010

I agree with Darlinton.
      It’s not a nice site, but then it’s always really easy to be critical of others. Who am I to be critical

A

19. Brian Walsh
    March 12, 2010

I basically modelled my website to be as minimal as possible. http://www.quickpixfix.com I would love to know what you think. Nav is nice and minimal. :P

20. fgaeg
    March 12, 2010

Wow this one is great list resorces!
    But this post should break down “why minimal navigation is successful”. and maybe describing the information can make this post really usefull for everyone and the community. thx for share!

21. Peach
    March 12, 2010

Awesome list. Minimalistic design is really the trend this year.

22. Web Development Outsourcing Company
    March 13, 2010

Nice collection..

23. Sunny G
    March 13, 2010

Nice… great inspirational stuff

Found few more…

24. Web design chennai
    March 13, 2010

Nice article..Iam a minimalist…i like the color cubic and sugar rush creative.

25. Tanya
    March 14, 2010

Very Nice Collection. I like most of them :)

26. Jordan Walker
    March 15, 2010

Very clean and easy for users to navigate.

27. Alex Aguilar
    March 16, 2010

Seems that nowadays navigation menu with link description under the link is pretty popular

28. thegraphiks
    March 16, 2010

Great information!
    Muchas gracias por estos ejemplos, siempre sirven.

29. void
    March 16, 2010

Total nav failers. Too simple.
    Nothing inspirational!

30. Xander
    March 18, 2010

Very nice collection of minimal navigation samples. Check out our site for our version of minimal navigation menu.

31. Maksim Shaihalov
    March 19, 2010

nice collection! thx!

32. Miles
    March 19, 2010

Some nice examples, but what worries me is that several of these sites’ navigation would be unreadable by many people with vision problems. So many designers, even on ‘public’ rather than ‘personal’ sites, seem to know – or care – nothing about the most basic accessibility considerations. The designer/developer needs to inform and educate clients about these considerations or they’re not doing their job and the client gets a compromised product.

33. chicago web design
    April 9, 2010

Yes, I found these easy to use too. Nice post. Thanks for sharing.

34. bodybuilding clothing
    April 9, 2010

great examples!

35. 10 Best Free Minimal WordPress Themes | Freebies
    April 11, 2010

[...] there are times when a minimal style is more appropriate for the content and it’s audience. A clean and minimal design gets out of the way and lets the content do the talking, and it’s a great way to give [...]

36. Curtis Shae
    April 28, 2010

Amazing stuff as usual…

37. Felicia D. Henegar
    May 1, 2010

Do you mind if I use the information I got reading from this website on the project that I’m working? I will properly cite you.

38. Vincent Roman
    June 1, 2010

Some of these NAV styles are awesome, but some of them are AWFUL.

The worst offenders are Websiteburo and Corking Designs. The text is practically invisible. I am not blind and the design is barely accessible.

Nice little collection, thanks for yet another list :)

39. yehya hafez
    July 8, 2010

just one word “outstanding”

40. Aker
    July 29, 2010

Great list but you could add some more like mrkwvr or minimalissimo. Anyway thanks for sharing that great list !

41. Marty Rogers
    July 31, 2010

Fabulous, absolutely stunning.

Nothing beats simplicity when it comes to websites, users adore it. That’s what I have found anyway. I really like the Big Cartel nav, it’s very smooth indeed.

Thanks for the ideas!

42. egyptian web designer
    July 31, 2010

Just one word “OUTSTANDING”
    my favorite is “Color Cubic”
    Thanks from EGYPTTTT

43. Matthew Menard
    September 13, 2010

Great list, some very nice examples of clean and simple navigation, a few were almost too simple ;-)

44. Web design portfolio
    October 12, 2010

great collection

45. Kyle Hildebrant
    March 4, 2011

Thanks for featuring OVO in this list. W’re happy to be included.

46. Zia
    April 26, 2011

simple, nice & clean :)

47. Krista
    May 31, 2011

Really great examples. Love the minimalist look.

48. Manu
    August 19, 2011

For this amazing collection i suggest niuenso.com

49. Karl
    May 9, 2012

Hy guys,

I want to thank for the nice list of menu,and I just wanted to share a cool free minimal menu design – the files are PSD and you could use them to create really cool menus. http://www.creattor.com/web-elements/minimal-menu-3992
    I used the files to design a couple of websites, but I think they’re useful for everyone.

50. Richard Tomkins
    June 5, 2012

I loved them all.

51. Christopher Becker
    June 28, 2012

an AWESOME collection, thanks for sharing….

52. Howard Steele
    June 21, 2013

Simplicity rules! Most popular web resources have very simple, minimalistic designs. Great post! Enjoyed it :)