50 Inspiring Examples of Hand Drawn Elements in Web Design

By / Apr 12, 2010 / Inspiration

Hand drawn elements are great way to give a website a unique look. You can do that by adding a nice hand drawn illustration as a background, a stylish hand draw font, icon, line work, characters or any other element you might think of. Hand drawn elements can give your website an informal look. They can add lots of personality and even humor. Here we’ve gathered 50 examples of hand drawn elements in web design to inspire you. And as usual, if you have a cool example to share, leave us a comment.

Suie Paparude

dnadarwin.org

handdrawn44

chirp.twitter.com

handdrawn45

1. Dave
    April 12, 2010

Oh very nice Collection :) i love Hand Drawn Designs and Elements in Web Design. Very Beautiful.

2. Johnson
    April 12, 2010

Great collection! One of my favs: http://rob-sheridan.com/sketchblog/

3. Damian Smith
    April 12, 2010

Some really amazing drawings and illustrations there. You don’t come across many websites with this kind of styling, which makes them even more unique and inspiring when you do see them.

I have never even thought of adding my own drawing to style a website. Mainly because I’m not that great at freehand drawing, but looking at some of the designs it doesn’t take an amazing drawer to come up with something that catches your eye and works well in the design.

I think the only time I may consider doing this is for my own personal website, not sure if my customers would appreciate a drawing placed on their sites!

Really nice work from all the designers of these sites though, thanks for sharing them.

4. Rolgordijnen
    April 12, 2010

Maybe its getting a bit old and much used but i still love the details in webdesign!

5. Website Design Surrey
    April 12, 2010

Really not used, mostly because people don’t know how to incorporate it correctly. I’ve always loved the contrast. Cool list!

6. Kevin
    April 12, 2010

Thanks for sharing these links Gisele, some great inspiration can be “drawn” from them ;)

7. Jordan Walker
    April 12, 2010

very original websites, love the hand drawn look.

8. tasarhane

nice collection..

9. Lena Tailor | DT
    April 12, 2010

Whats great talents you have presented here… Really Great Job…

10. Netcraftindia
    April 12, 2010

It is a good collection of Hand Drawn Web Design. And very inspirational blog. The Hand Drawn Web Design need creativity. I like these kind of websites.

11. Editha
    April 12, 2010

very nice collection! I loved all of them!!

12. Jae Xavier
    April 12, 2010

A blending of old-school hand drawn animation and new-school 3D animation would be a very good theme. :)

13. Jude
    April 12, 2010

Awesome collection…missed this when i was looking for inspiration to do one of my projects…never the less great work…check out the website i did : http://www.bigbeep.in

14. Rondell Paul
    April 12, 2010

great post!!! i love the way hand drawn elements are being used in web design today…

http://www.carolrivello.com/ is another one you can add to the list.

She even has a “Making of” to show the design process for her website: http://www.carolrivello.com/blog/new-website-%C2%BB-the-making-of/

15. Mankato Website Design
    April 12, 2010

informative post!!! i love the way hand drawn elements are being used. Thanks!

16. Jesse
    April 12, 2010

I rellay love this style, but it is hard to do the same job, hand drawning need more skills.

17. Nate Johnson
    April 13, 2010

I love hand drawn elements in a website. This is a great list. Check out http://www.holyghostoutdoors.com – has a ton of really cool sketches throughout the site, as elements of it’s design.

18. PelFusion
    April 13, 2010

impressive collection

19. Victoria Blount
    April 14, 2010

There are some truly individual and unique elements to the website above, by adding hand drawn elements to the websites, there become more fun and endearing to the audience.

20. Sawyer Hollenshead
    April 15, 2010

Thanks for including my site in your list, appreciate it!

21. Web Risorsa
    April 15, 2010

Nice collection, i don’t think all are hand written… Some of them looks like they have been created with drawing tools…

22. Web Design Hertfordshire
    April 18, 2010

Great collection of web designs. I have to agree with the majority of these comments. Hand drawn elements in web designs really work well. When designing our web site I had great plans for the use of hand drawn elements but the lack of time time has put them on hold. This post has now given me the inspiration to add them.

23. Estelita
    April 27, 2010

One of my favorites! http://www.fuseboxcreations.com

24. Web Designer Maidstone
    April 28, 2010

Some great examples here, i love the mix between photography and illustration, find it really striking… magic realism!

25. Rachel
    April 29, 2010

Wow.very nice collection….

26. Kristine
    May 3, 2010

Love these!

http://www.pathwayfellowship.com is another simple yet creative hand painted site! Check it out!

27. element321
    May 6, 2010

Great collection! This style of web design is one my favorite styles. It can show how talented a web designer can be.

28. chris
    May 12, 2010

Very inspiring indeed!

29. 60 Excellent Examples of Illustration in Web Design | Inspiration
    June 1, 2010

[...] can go from Super Clean and Minimal Layouts to Colorful Layouts, and you can use Huge Typography or Hand Drawn elements – as long as you keep your style and give your website your own personality. As illustration [...]

30. Rachel
    November 9, 2010

You really put together a great compilation of sites and page elements that were hand-drawn. Awesome! I love them. I just redesigned my drawing community site – http://www.drawinghowtodraw.com/ – I drew it, then cut out figures from scraps of paper to make 3-dimensional paper art. Then I took the huge layout to be photographed…then, it was finally made into a website. It was a long process, but it looks really cool. I hope that you like it.

Rachel

31. Brett Widmann
    November 16, 2010

this is really cool. Hand-drawn design can give something such a unique look, but essential for the theme they are trying to display. Thanks for pulling all these examples together.