A Showcase of Effective Minimalism in Web Design

By / Nov 27, 2009 / Inspiration

Minimalism in web design is all about stripping things down to only the necessities – so there is nothing in the way of the content. You’ll find that minimal designs have a focus on typography, simple layouts, and a lack of fancy design elements. So what makes an effective minimal web design? Effective minimalism happens when a design gets out of the way of the content and still remains visually stunning. Here is a showcase of websites that are able to achieve this.

A Way Back

BKWLD

Heartworker

We Are Hunted

Buckenmeyer & Co.

1. José Mota
    November 27, 2009

The Buckenmeyer & Co.’s website took my breath. Excellent typography and whitespace.

2. Stu Greenham

Great post! I love Minimalist! Give my site a look see what you think :D

3. Rhonda Payne
    November 27, 2009

Minimalist? Try this for size: http://www.danpetter.net/

4. Danny Cassidy
    November 27, 2009

Great post, just goes to show that a well thought out grid and carefully considered typography goes a long way.

5. Design Informer
    November 27, 2009

Nice showcase, but it would be great if you can explain how each minimalism design is effective. :)

6. Daniel
    November 27, 2009

A nice selection I have just jumped on the minimal bandwagon! Fantastic for personal sites since they require little work and maintenance! Shame I’m never included on these lists though :(

7. Martin
    November 27, 2009

hm. i`m not so sure. all these websites of minimal website collections i visit don`t look really minimal to me…
    what do you think?

8. Tyler
    November 27, 2009

Nice list, always love to look at others’ minimalistic designs. I’m always surprised to see how so little can go such a long way.

Recently jumped on the minimalistic bandwagon myself. I like to think the design works, but I made it, so of course I’d think that.

9. Taylor M.
    November 27, 2009

Thanks for posting, this is a nice list. Although I would say most of these are very well known sites that lots of people have seen. I do think Auxiliary Design’s site is a really nice minimal site.

10. toque
    November 27, 2009

ummm…these are minimalist…they’re just all white with nav at the top.

if anything this collection should be called Grid-based sites 101. very few of these are minimalist “by choice” but rather by structure.

this is a bad list of B- websites.

• Tyler
      November 28, 2009

These are hardly B- websites. “A Working Library” for example I think is great.

I think when you say these are bad sites, you really are saying “Minimalist websites aren’t my cup of tea.”

But as far as the category goes, these are great examples to look at.

11. toque
    November 27, 2009

these aren’t minimalist….is what i meant to say.

12. JHAY

Awesome showcase! Thanks

13. Alex
    November 28, 2009

http://www.minimalsites.com .. you are welcome :)

14. Matt M.
    November 28, 2009

This is probably one of the best recent compilations of minimalist design I’ve seen and it’s great! I actually modeled our company’s current website (http://www.forgeseo.com) off a variety of minimalist styles and we’ve gotten a lot of compliments on how navigating the site is extremely easy.

There are a lot of sites that are overdoing the web 2.0 style and it ends up killing usability and readability – minimalism is an optional alternative to this.

15. Alex Flueras
    November 28, 2009

Useful list, thanks for sharing. Here is another minimal, clean site: http://www.studiowber.com

16. Kai Chang
    November 28, 2009

Tumblr has some great minimalist themes available. One of my favorite Tumblr designers is this guy:

17. Camucreative
    November 28, 2009

I wanna lick the ‘A way back’ website. Seems tasty.

18. Jordan Koschei
    November 28, 2009

Websites are particularly conducive for minimalism. You found a nice collection.

19. MiikkaV
    November 28, 2009

Actually I don’t think those all can be called minimalistic…

20. Qoska
    November 28, 2009

Always the same ones…..

21. Josh
    November 29, 2009

I like the “Corking Design” example you used. I traditionally think of minimalist designs as lighter designs, but this is a good example of a minimalist design that’s darker with a bit of grunginess. Automattic’s website is another example of a minimalist design: http://automattic.com/.

22. Anton Ranestam
    November 29, 2009

Minimalism in web design is the new “IT” if you ask me. It’s grown rather popular to build Minimalistic way.

23. Rahul – Web Guru
    November 29, 2009

Very good inspiration…

24. Rudi
    November 30, 2009

simple, cool, smooth, but still kickass
    nice collection bru

25. Chris Robinson
    December 3, 2009

Great roundup, some really nice work

26. Simple Flow: Minimalism in Web Design | Tips
    October 5, 2010

[...] a big one. Page content should also be easy to read and easy to skim through. There are plenty of showcases for minimalism to be found all around the web. These can be very helpful when looking for inspiration to get [...]

27. Sherman Hilcher
    October 12, 2010

It depends on the way you look at it and exactly where that you’re coming from on the topic really. In the long run beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Now i am with you on this one.