A Showcase of Vintage Apple Advertisements

By / Jan 15, 2010 / Inspiration

In the mid 80′s we bought our first computer. It was an Apple IIc. I have very fond memories of playing games, writing basic programs, and creating graphics while staring at it’s small green monochrome monitor. Even though I was very young at the time, I believe our Apple helped send me down the path to becoming a web designer. So if you were and Apple owner in the early days, here’s a showcase of vintage Apple ads from that time period that will take you back. It’s amazing how much the Apple product line and technology in general has evolved in such a relatively short period of time.

Sources

1. Hutch

The fourth one is actually the first half of a Commodore 128 ad

• Henry
      January 15, 2010

Thanks for catching that. I removed it.

2. Lindsay K.
    January 15, 2010

One thing that always cracks me up about vintage ads is that it used to be acceptable and common to write paragraphs upon paragraphs of copy for a single page ad…

• JoeDN
      January 16, 2010

Same observation here ;)

• CptObvious
      January 16, 2010

One thing that cracks me up is that people used to actually read.

3. Igor Ivankovic
    January 15, 2010

HAHA, this is brilliant! I can’t believe how much the world has changed in means of technology! This is incredible example of what will our Mac’s look like to our kids in the future! Great post!

4. Brian Scott
    January 15, 2010

I just don’t know what to say about advert #8. That’s just wrong.

5. TouchRed
    January 15, 2010

This brand will rule the world!

can’t wait!

6. Greg Babula
    January 15, 2010

Cool post, Advertisements have come a long way

7. Jordan Walker

Bring back Oregon Trail!

• Henry
      January 15, 2010

Ah yeah. That was one of my favorites. Good memory Jordan. :)

8. Angela
    January 15, 2010

Ha! I just love this post. Thanks Henry!

Speaking of vintage games, does anyone remember Choplifter for the Commodore 64? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choplifter – It was when I was a very young child, but I remember trying to rescue people running from the buildings. And sometimes I accidentally landed the helicopter on the little 2-dimensional people and it made a squashing sound. lol. Wow. The memories…

• Henry
      January 15, 2010

Thanks Angela. I’m glad you like it. Yes, I do remember that one too. It was awesome. Was that one also on the Atari 2600?

• Angela
        January 15, 2010

Yes, I think it was also on the Atari. Great fun! And another one I have to throw in while we’re at it – Advanced Dungeons and Dragons for the Intellivision. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRtwlc_WJNM

9. Blogger Den
    January 15, 2010

Really cool ads dude! I am a huge Apple fan, these bring back some memories :)

10. Ryan Le Roux

Those are legit.

11. Web Design by 314media.com St. Louis
    January 15, 2010

I can’t believe that they first promoted that box at $666.66 .. .What’s that all about?

I’ll take 2!

12. paul
    January 15, 2010

nice, someone know which fonts are used? especially in the “A for Apple” one

• Philip
      February 25, 2010

That font is a version (or rip off) of Cooper Black.

13. Chris
    January 15, 2010

These brought back some great memories. Thanks for posting. But what’s with the Apple salesman manhandling that young boy? LOL

Oh and to answer that question of price: Asians are huge into lucky numbers. The number 6 is one they are particularly fond of, so perhaps Apple was targeting an Asian market with their price tag of $666.66

• subhumanoid
      January 18, 2010

you saw it too Chris!

what is going on in this picture 7?!!

questionable

14. justin White
    January 16, 2010

Wow, what a trip down memory lane that was! Amazing.

RT

15. Tyson Williams
    January 16, 2010

Excellent collection! Takes you right back in time… I had re-blog it! Thanks for sharing…

16. Matthew Aebersold
    January 18, 2010

Thanks for posting this! It’s a great history, and I love seeing the development of the brand.

17. Robert Chambers
    January 19, 2010

Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of IT lessons at school.

18. Warren Bobrow
    January 20, 2010

I had an Apple IIc. used it at the center for advanced visual studies at MIT. we made that thing as fast as a selectric typewriter.

19. FeryKloucek
    July 25, 2010

It’s really interesting to see the big step in past few decades.. What a funny imagination of how it’ll look in next ten or twenty years, when we’ll have the same feeling by watching nowadays advertisements..