Stunning Examples of Light On Dark Web Design

By / Jan 19, 2009 / Inspiration

Deciding when to use light text on a dark background in web design should always be about enhancing the content and the user experience. Here are some stunning examples of light on dark designs where the designers achieved this while maintaining excellent contrast and readability.

Tapbots

Elysium Burns

Elysium Burns

Kanchi

Kanchi

1. Nathan Beck
    January 19, 2009

Nice selection. There’s a fair few more I could have added but there’s plenty of inspiration there.

2. serge
    January 19, 2009

great list
    really like it.

I know u like Giant Creative… But u used it twice :)

3. Nicolas Hoizey
    January 19, 2009

What about this one with light text on (less than your selection) dark background:

4. Niki Brown | The Design O’Blog
    January 19, 2009

I really love the Black Estate Vineyard site. Nice contrast and its built on the 960 grid system.

Thanks for the list! Bookmarked and dugg!

5. chrishartmann
    January 19, 2009

perhaps you also check out my blog:

#blackgreyredandwhite

6. Henry
    January 19, 2009

@Niki – I agree. Black Estate Vineyard is very nice indeed.

@serge – Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out. It’s fixed now.

7. Timothy
    January 19, 2009

Very good list. Much appreciated.

It’s good to see this trend becoming more serious. Any computer-based design (application, website, etc) in the past was not dark. This was because older CRT displays often do not display dark screen correctly. The light colors do not mix well, text is hard to read and colors (include the darks and grays) do not appear the right colors. This is why Vista developers opted for the classic Windows colors as the default scheme. They wanted, originally, to use the dark / black theme as the default.

But now we are at the point that most users are using LCD or newer CRTs, so this isn’t much of a problem. I love to see people moving towards mediums that make designing easier, better and allows for greater creativity.

8. Leroy Fernandes
    January 19, 2009

Nice list of sites up here.
    I too have used the light on dark scheme, using orange and black.

Check it out http://www.fuelmediaworks.com

9. NetOperator Wibby
    January 19, 2009

This is a nice collection. I’ve known about Revvyer for a while [and, they have nice resources for download]. I came across Brand Storm by accident a few weeks ago.

@ Leroy: Your site looks pretty good man!

10. Fubiz
    January 19, 2009

Beautiful selection!

11. bretagne photo
    January 19, 2009

“Take The Walk” is a great design!

12. Daus
    January 20, 2009

Great list. I love Take the Walk.

13. Irene Demetri
    January 20, 2009

Very nice list.

Same as many others, I have used light on dark on my website too! Its my favorite style ;)

14. Lee Munroe
    January 21, 2009

Great list, great inspiration

15. TIm
    January 25, 2009

Wilsoni Institute did the black estate one I think..

16. Anna
    February 8, 2009

It’s interesting that most of the best looking light on dark websites are those of the designers themselves (whether they be portfolio or studio sites). I wonder whether this is an indication that generally, the consumers find them difficult to use?

17. Ramona
    February 12, 2009

My web designer used it to terrific advantage on my website, even though I was a bit afraid for readability. With the jewelry and the photos, it looks great. (www.WristRocks.com)

18. Sean Baker
    February 20, 2009

Thanks for including me in your article, I appreciate that!

19. photofolio
    February 24, 2009

Nice to see some other approaches. Main reason I followed this on my own photography site is to give the pix a bit more punch then if they were on a white background. The dark tones make it mostly look a bit somber though.

20. Suwat
    April 28, 2009

The white on black design is so simple, yet elegant. I could go for a glass of Black Estate wine right now!

21. web design gold coast
    June 2, 2009

Big fan of light on dark sites. White is boring.

22. whut
    July 21, 2009

Do you notice this website is light bg with dark text? lol

Light on dark is NOT good for blogs or sites with extensive content as the strain on the eyes is just too much. It IS ok for small word content or photo sites as reading is not a major point of the site.

23. skippy
    July 29, 2009

There are polls all over the net about light on dark vs dark on light, but whenever the question is asked about preference, people automatically start talking about white on black vs black on white, which isn’t the same thing.

White and black are complete opposites. I find the contrast high for me either way and can never read either one for very long.

Light on dark, however, say white on a dark gray – or dark on light with say, black on a soft taupe or something – I have no trouble reading all day long.

I think people should also talk about other factors like the font size and style. I think that matters even more than the colors in terms of readability.

24. Bradley Davis
    August 26, 2009

Great collection of sites, nice job.

25. Markus
    November 28, 2009

You should also check out this one. It’s done with a 4 column grid uses good typography and has beautiful photoshopped images in the header and footer.

26. Eduardo
    September 29, 2010

I really like the concept behind “Lucas Hirata”. That’s been one of my favourites for teh last couple of years now.