11 Blogs to Help You Become a User Experience Expert

By / Dec 29, 2009 / Resources

In today’s web design world, so much emphasis is put on SEO, which forces us to design for machines. Even though this is a necessity for web designers, the focus of a design should be on that of the user – the breathing, typing, mouse clicking kind of user. The user experience (UX) design portion of the website building process is often overlooked, usually due to a lack of knowledge in the area. Luckily, there are UX focused blogs out there that are loaded with info, tips, and insights that can help you in your journey to becoming a user experience expert. Here are 11 of the best.

UX Magazine

UX Magazine was created to deliver a central place to discuss the critical disciplines that all enhance user experience.

user experience

Signal vs. Noise

Signal vs. Noise is the blog of 37signals. Having built popular web apps like Basecamp, they know a thing or two about user experience.

user experience

UX Booth

The UX Booth is a blog by and for the User Experience Community. It’s full of useful articles and resources on usability, user experience, and interaction design.

user experience

Adaptive Path Blog

Adaptive Path creates user driven products that deliver great experiences. Their blog allows them to share what they’ve learned with others.

user experience

UsabilityPost

The Usability Post is a blog about design – not about what it looks like, but about how it works. The aim of The Usability Post is to provide relevant resources, tips and insights into good design in order to help you make great products.

user experience

inspireUX

inspireUX is a blog that posts quotes relating to user experience (UX). Every quote on inspireUX focuses on the impact that user experience has on people, business, or the world. You can even download and print them out on 4×6″ index cards.

user experience

456 Berea Street

456 Berea Street is the blog of Swedish web professional, Roger Johansson. He writes about web standards, accessibility, usability, and other UX related topics.

user experience

Functioning Form

Functioning Form is a blog about interface design. That is to say, it is where art and technology emerge as experience, where message and medium meld, and where interactions are useful, usable, and enjoyable.

user experience

A List Apart

A List Apart Magazine is loaded with insightful articles exploring the design, development, and meaning of web content, with a special focus on web standards and best practices.

user experience

Boxes and Arrows

Boxes and Arrows is devoted to the practice, innovation, and discussion of design; including graphic design, interaction design, information architecture and the design of business. Since 2001, it’s been a peer-written journal promoting contributors who want to provoke thinking, push limits, and teach a few things along the way.

user experience

EverydayUX

EverydayUX is a blog that focuses on the design that we encounter on a day-to-day basis, especially as it relates to interaction design.

user experience

1. Josh
    December 29, 2009

These websites not only serve as an excellent source of information on UX design, but they are also beautiful working case examples of how usable websites should function. Great compilation. My favourite would have to be A List Apart.

• El Pee
      June 22, 2012

Hi Josh, nice comment. Do you know how one can become a UX designer? Im a Test analyst and over the years I’ve tested different websites/apps…lately I’ve been thinking of learning UX designing. How do i go about this? London UK.

2. Brendan Wenzel
    December 29, 2009

As a programmer, I want to make sure that the code is clean and SEO friendly. As a designer, I always try to make the site user friendly and pleasing to the eye. This is a great list of resources to further enhance my ability to create user friendly sites. Thanks!!

3. Cam
    December 29, 2009

I agree, the more I learn and understand the role of a web developer, UX Designer and even ID, I see the need for better understanding of these crucial roles.

4. Lee
    December 29, 2009

Very good set of resource blogs here, they’ll come in handy with upcoming projects for sure.

5. kimcool
    December 29, 2009

Wow,Great Blogs,They’ll let me study more.

6. Catriona Cornett
    December 29, 2009

Thank you so much for linking to inspireUX! This is a great list!

7. Marco Barbosa
    December 29, 2009

Love it.

Got all the feeds :D

8. Rooturaj
    December 29, 2009

I have been real bad with colors and design till now. I left designing and UI to the designer. But now I have to step up the UI learning as am seeing better conversion with improved User experience changes.

This one was pretty useful. I would have digested it all had I not been going on a vacation in 4 hours. Bookmarked till 4th Jan.

Happy New Year and have a great time.

9. Matthew Kammerer
    December 29, 2009

Thanks for featuring UX Booth :).

10. Inside the Webb
    December 29, 2009

We are all UI experts, it’s really no different than looking at your application through the eyes of the user. How easy is it to use each aspect of your site or application, and how to get from one part to the next with ease.

11. Maverick
    December 30, 2009

i am very keen on learning more and more about user experience design. thanks for the lovely list.

12. Douglas Brull
    January 2, 2010

This list is a valuable reference for my interns and my students in UCID and Usability.

Thank you for compiling it.

13. Rodrigo Teixeira
    January 2, 2010

This is a awesome list about UX. Many of these blogs shows how to develop research, studies and the best practices to build better pages. Great reference!

14. Joe Payton
    January 2, 2010

Thanks for the list. I found 4 new blogs!

15. Matt Pye
    January 3, 2010

An article about User Interface/user experience/usability on the web and Jakob Nielsen (useit.com) was not mention?

• Rob
      January 5, 2010

The guy’s undeniably a legend but there’s a certain irony in the poor usability of useit.com.

16. Rob
    January 5, 2010

Great list. The two I find myself reading most often are EverydayUX and UXbooth.

But beware, loyalty to any particular source of information can skew your view so shop around!

17. Mikkel
    January 5, 2010

The best interaction design blog is http://www.johnnyholland.org. Too bad this was not mentioned instead of UX Booth, which has never impressed people who work in UX for a living.

• Anthony
      January 12, 2010

I agree. UX Booth has never impressed me. From the perspective of a seasoned veteran, the individuals behind UX Booth, while intelligent and youthful, seem to have no formal training or practical experience in the domain. They’re not experts!

• David Travis
      February 19, 2010

Enthusiasm and hard work go a long way in our field, and I think that the guys at UXBooth have this in spades. Their web site also carries a number of guest posts from more seasoned experts.

18. Vincent Lejeune
    January 7, 2010

You can find UX website on http://users-experiential.net/ . it’s in french but easy to understand !
    You can also check http://www.helloarchitekt.com

19. solexy
    May 17, 2010

thx, great list

20. Share and like
    July 31, 2010

In my feeds. Thanks

21. 48 Examples of Excellent Layout in Web Design | Inspiration
    September 9, 2010

[...] are great and play a big part in web design, but most would agree that the backbone of a solid user experience is the layout. After all, what good is all of the eye candy if one can not easily read and digest [...]

22. Norman
    June 3, 2011

Nice list.I’m sure I can learn a thing or two from this.

cheers.

23. Lex Koff – Templamatic
    June 5, 2011

Thank you very much! That’s exactly what I’ve been looking for and glad that Google ranked your article first =) at the moment we rely on our user’s feedback which is quite time consuming and still expresses the opinion of active users only =)

24. Justin Mifsud
    October 20, 2011

Great list Henry. Without sounding self promotional, may I also propose my blog http://usabilitygeek.com . I blog mainly about usability and user experience guidelines, terminology, resources and practical implementation.

25. Fabian
    April 19, 2013

Thanks for this Top-11, Henry! I really enjoyed reading your list and found some new UX blogs but also some analogies (like UsabilityPost) to our “Best of User Experience blogs” on our germen User Experience blog: http://www.uxcite.de, which covers not only UX but also usability. It’s a pity that there are only a few active german blogs out there about these topics. :(