13 Excellent Open Source Tools for Web Designers

By / Oct 12, 2009 / Tools

Open source applications and tools are a great alternative for web designers on a budget. Many open source tools have comparable features to the expensive applications, and are also free. This makes it possible possible for a web designer to have all the tools and applications needed to complete everyday tasks without even spending a cent. In this article you will find 13 of the best open source tools for web designers.

Text Editors

Aptana Studio

open source tools

Aptana is a complete web development environment that combines powerful authoring tools for HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, along with thousands of additional plugins created by the community.

KompoZer

open source tools

KompoZer is a complete web authoring system that combines web file management and easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing.

Notepad++

open source tools

Notepad++ is a source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. It runs on Windows and is governed by a GPL License.

Firebug

open source tools

Firebug is a plugin for Firefox that allows you to edit, debug, and monitor CSS, HTML, and JavaScript live in any web page.

Quanta Plus

open source tools

Quanta Plus is a highly stable and feature rich web development environment.

jEdit

open source tools

jEdit is a cross platform text editor with hundreds of person-years of development behind it.

Graphics Applications

GIMP

open source tools

GIMP is a versatile graphics manipulation package. It’s considered by many to be an excellent alternative to Photoshop.

Dia

open source tools

Dia is a cross operating system diagram creation application.

Krita

open source tools

Krita is a graphics application for everyone who wants to get creative with images.

Inkscape

open source tools

Inkscape is a vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Adobe Illustrator.

FTP

FileZilla

open source tools

FileZilla is probably the most popular ftp application. You can download a client or server version.

Cyberduck

open source tools

Cyberduck is an FTP client built for the Mac.

WinSCP

open source tools

WinSCP is an open source free SFTP client and FTP client for Windows.

1. Eyenox Media
    October 12, 2009

Great selection of tools, also smart move to put some extra stuff at the bottom!

Greetz

2. Sunil
    October 12, 2009

Good collection of software. I think you have missed some software. http://www.myhtmlworld.com/web-development/free-tools-to-develop-website.html

3. Lee
    October 12, 2009

Nothing new. Sorry.

4. designfollow
    October 12, 2009

thanks you

nice open source

5. Mohammed Ilyas
    October 12, 2009

Hello Henry!

Very nice article. Thanks for providing lot of information about this applications.

6. stooni
    October 12, 2009

well done , cool tools for webdesign prof.

—————stooni

7. Zaskoda
    October 12, 2009

I use Gimp frequently. I haven’t installed any commercial alternative on my workstation in years.

I use Dia regularly. I tried to use Visio on a Windows machine recently for a project. I ended up just downloading Dia to the machine. It does what I needed it to do fairly well. A slightly more “brisk” interface would be nice.

Filezilla is powerful, but the UI is just a train wreck. I still use it most of the time as it’s one of the few FTP apps that properly supports umasks.

I use netbeans over Aptana because I ran into issues with Git support in Aptana. Netbeans is OSS and a very good IDE.

Speaking of, Git and SVN can be a Web developers best friend… would be nice additions to the list.

Oh, and then there’s Firefox and the many plugins, of course.

8. Jonathan Bennett
    October 12, 2009

I recommend Eclipse. A great open source IDE!

9. Web Design Maidstone Kent
    October 12, 2009

Some nice links to investigate, I would certainly be lost without filezilla

10. GioPhotos
    October 12, 2009

Thank you so much for the tools but I think there are more software available. :)

11. Web Development & Web Design
    October 13, 2009

You wanna talk about lifesavers, firebug is #1. The DOM options plus the xpath ability is key for any person in our industry

12. Pradeep CD
    October 13, 2009

Great list… Aptana, Firebug and GIMP are my favorites…thanks…

you forgot FireFTP…

13. theComplex
    October 13, 2009

Great list of resources. I’ll be sure to start passing these along.

14. cssah
    October 14, 2009

Aptana and notepad++ very powerful and productive .Thx

15. Jason
    October 20, 2009

I’ve heard a lot of positive reviews about notepad++

16. MrJuls
    December 3, 2009

Thanks for these links, I didn’t know Aptana Studio, and it seems to be an excellent tool!

17. Arun
    December 8, 2009

Thanks for sharing this article..

18. Sasha
    December 19, 2009

I think Selenium web site testing framework should among the first 3 in this least, here is a short introductory article – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

19. Johnson
    April 23, 2010

gud one..

20. mr.design
    July 7, 2010

Great article. I’d also add Blender 3D to the list:)

21. Zhille
    September 11, 2010

I’ve used much of the software listed. Here are my impressions:

Aptana – excellent tool but bloated and slow loading, a little like dreamweaver in terms of usability. For an average HTML/PHP/CSS/JS coder, just too massive. Great community and plugins though.

Notepad++ – my personal choice for years, with a few plugins, you can’t beat it. Experienced web app developers I worked with use it exclusively. Starts faster than notepad, haha.

Another of my recommendations is Inkscape, one hell of a vector program, with excellent bezier tool, and workflow is nice. You might have to search online for some explanations about how to use extensions like Perspective, but there are some resources. Learning curve is very fast.

Gimp – just hate it…god-awful, tried it a lot of times to see if it maybe changed to better. Paint.NET is way better, but lacks more advanced features and path support.

22. The G.
    February 7, 2011

Thanks. A great intro to the open source environment.

23. BauerPower
    November 14, 2011

You have an interesting take. I like it! Great post!