15 Useful Web Apps for Designers

By / Jul 7, 2011 / Tools

There are lots of web apps these days and they are very popular because of time-saving and productivity benefits. Web apps work on almost all platforms and you can access them from any device. You don’t need to install anything and you can save lots of time in this way. In this compilation, I’ve picked 15 useful web apps for web and graphic designers, developers and other creatives who want to save time and achieve more. Hope you’ll become more productive with these handy apps.

Privacy policy generator

Privacy policy generator

Privacy policy generator helps you to create professional privacy policy document that discloses some or all of the ways to your website visitors about what you will do with information gathered from them, how you are gathering that information and how the information will be stored and managed.

Launchlist

Launchlist

Launchlist is a perfect tool for web designers and developers to check their work before launching any project.

Aviary’s Image Editor

Aviaryís Image Editor

Powerful online photo editor with easy to use user interface. Perfect alternative for popular Adobe Photoshop.

Color Scheme Designer

Color Scheme Designer

Very useful tool for any sort of designer. With this tool you can easily create attractive color schemes for your projects.

Buffer

Buffer

Buffer makes your life easier with a smarter way to schedule tweets. Work out all your tweets at one point in time during the day. Then fill up your Buffer with your tweets and Buffer schedules them for you.

deviantART muro

deviantART muro

HTML5-based app that works in all modern browsers, and you can dive in and start drawing on a blank canvas, all without Flash or any other plug-in.

CSS3 Generator

CSS3 Generator

Handy CSS3 generator with a lot of different functions and code preview.

Loads.in

Loads.in

Loads.in gives you the possibility to see how fast your (or any) website loads in a real browser from over 50 locations worldwide.

Bounce

Bounce

Great tool for creating notes on any website, you can share your thoughts, feedback about the project with your friends or colleagues.

Resize My Browser

Resize My Browser

ResizeMyBrowser is simple yet very useful online tool. With this tool you will be able to set the browser size by both Inner window and Outer window.

Kuler

Kuler

Kuler is the web-hosted application for generating color themes that can inspire any project. No matter what you’re creating, with Kuler you can experiment quickly with color variations and browse thousands of themes from the Kuler community.

Typetester

Typetester

The Typetester is an online application for comparison of the fonts for the screen. Its primary role is to make web designer’s life easier. As the new fonts are bundled into operating systems, the list of the common fonts will be updated.

WhatTheFont

WhatTheFont

Seen a font in use and want to know what it is? Submit an image to WhatTheFont to find the closest matches in their database.

Ultimate CSS Gradient Generator

Ultimate CSS Gradient Generator

Colorzilla has designed this very easy to use CSS3 gradient generator. It uses sliders and color pickers just like Photoshop and is highly recommended.

Twitter Profile Designer

Twitter Profile Designer

Themeleon helps you to create custom Twitter background. You can use lots of patterns and colors available there or you can customize any of the colors or patterns to get just the right design for you.

Tomas Laurinavicius is an adventurous designer and entrepreneur. Editor-in-chief at Despreneur and Product Manager at Refe. Connect with me on @tomaslau.

1. Pragmatic Design
    July 7, 2011

Very useful list, thank you.

Suggestion for the future: how about a list of useful iPhone apps for designers (not just web designers)?

2. Evan Skuthorpe
    July 7, 2011

I use Kuler all the time, it’s great for inspiration.

• Matt
      July 7, 2011

I’ll second that. Great for inspiring and selecting colours for type and layout elements. Used in combo with Color Scheme designer it can be especially powerful.

3. designbyarm
    July 7, 2011

Dear Tomas,

Next time on your writing could you share us about what iPad apps that you use on iPad for web designer and developer?
    It will be guide for me or new web designer to use apps more comfortable on iPad than PC.

4. Tomas
    July 7, 2011

@Pragmatic Design and @designbyarm thank you for suggestions. I’ll try to find out something.

5. Matt
    July 7, 2011

This is a great list of useful tools. There’s a Chrome extension that performs a function similar to Resize My Window. Pick your res and your window snaps to it. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kkelicaakdanhinjdeammmilcgefonfh

• phenomenia
      July 26, 2011

The same is available with the webdeveloper toolbar for Firefox/Chrome (beside loats of other helpful tools)

6. alex
    July 7, 2011

Great apps thanks. Very useful. I use some of them very often.

7. jon
    July 7, 2011

love this list! i almost don’t want to share it hehe :)

8. Hilary
    July 7, 2011

Wow – great resources! I am looking for a good open source app for my portfolio slideshow. My old site had a light box feature, but I am looking for something fresh and new. I’m am fluent with HTML and CSS, but not with scripting languages, so I am looking for something fairly easy to plug in. Any recommendations? Thank you!

9. Eric “WizKid” Odom
    July 7, 2011

Awesome list! Heard of a few of these. Great apps, thanks!

10. Nanang Gunawan
    July 7, 2011

Very good..

so awesome… :D

11. Anna Green
    July 8, 2011

FIREBUG! Anyone working with a website needs firebug installed on Firefox it allows you to make css changes live in the browser before transporting them too your css sheet. I cant live without it!

12. Nilesh
    July 8, 2011

What an awesome collection man!

13. inspirationfeed
    July 9, 2011

I love Kuler! This is a great resourceful list, well done!

14. Roman (Conceptboard)
    July 26, 2011

Awesome list. Have to check out a few new apps… For visual collaboration and feedback I recommend http://conceptboard.com .

15. Ale
    September 26, 2011

There were some applications I did not know and I will be very useful. thanks

16. Gary lev
    November 27, 2011

Great tools particularly the buffer for twitter ! Thanks guys great work !

17. Emily Williams
    December 1, 2011

It takes so much time and efforts to collect all these useful tools which help in design work. Thank you, Tomas, for the important data!
    when I was looking for helpful tips, this article http://templates.motocms.com/blog/web-design/tools-make-design-task-easier/ also came me in handy. Hope, it helps other readers too.

18. Tim
    February 28, 2012

Hey, Nice article !
    I think a good tool for web designers and even designers in general is a feedback tool.

I just tried a free web app http://fre.sc the design is nice, and features are pretty cool. It’s also my first experience of realtime collaboration on the web which I found it totally amazing. I definitely recommend you to check it out !

19. Web Designer Toronto
    March 26, 2012

Very useful list of tools. Thanks for sharing.. i never heard of some of them. Bookmarked this for future reference if i ever need to use these apps.
    I used the twitter one not too long a go and it is very useful!

Thanks for sharing these :)

20. Martin Buhr
    June 13, 2012

One thing missing off the list: a load testing tool (not just page load, but site performance).

Would highly recommend you try our load testing service (and maybe add it to your list?) at http://loadzen.com (full disclosure: I’m the founder).

It’s free to use and might just save you a headache :-)

21. Howard Steele
    July 1, 2013

Great list! Any webdesigner worth his/her salt should have some of these apps in their bookmarks.