30 Extremely Elegant Serif Fonts

By / May 7, 2009 / Freebies

A few weeks ago, I showed you a bunch of super sleek fonts to use in your clean designs, but if your looking to establish an classic mood for a design, you may want to choose an elegant serif font. This article presents to you 30 of the best free serif fonts around.

Novello

Slab Tall X

Slab Tall X

Liberation Serif

Liberation Serif

1. Patternhead
    May 7, 2009

Great resource, hadn’t seen a couple of these before so thanks for the share :)

2. Lisa
    May 7, 2009

These are stunning! I personally love serif fonts, as I believe sans serif’s are getting overused and killed. Nice collection! Thank you!

3. Paul
    May 7, 2009

No offense but I wouldn’t call too many of these fonts elegant, while I wouldn’t call Museo a serif font at all. Where are the classics like Baskerville, Caslon, Goudy, Bembo? All truly elegant not to mention Garamond, Jenson and Joanna all well established (Garamond was designed in the 1540s) truly elegant fonts. Do yourselves a favour and take a look at some of the masters of type design.

4. Fabio
    May 7, 2009

Thanks for the post, I tend to use Museo quite a bit recently. There is a great showcase of Museo here: http://francescomugnai.com/

5. kyle steed
    May 7, 2009

From this list Novello and Alexandria are probably the only ones I would use. But you left out on of the most beautiful serif typefaces there is, Archer. Check the link to feast your eyes on true beauty (especially in bold): http://www.typography.com/fonts/font_styles.php?productLineID=100033

6. Duh
    May 7, 2009

@Paul it’s 30 elegant *free* serif fonts, the ones you mention are not free. Do yourself a favor and figure out the purpose of an article before writing something snotty in the comments.

7. Henry

@kyle steed

Thanks for pointing out Archer…shouldn’t have left that one out.

8. Paul
    May 7, 2009

I didn’t see my comment as being ‘snotty’. I understand that the fonts are free, I was simply pointing out that with the constant flood of free fonts on the market we are losing sight of true elegance in type design. Surely real quality is worth paying for?

9. bigyaz
    May 7, 2009

Paul: When you start out with “No offense…” and follow up with “Do yourselves a favour…”? Yeah, that’s snotty.

And if the list included such well-known stalwarts as Garamond and Caslon the author would no doubt have received equally snotty remarks about stating the obvious.

10. Kirsti Scott
    May 7, 2009

I love Trajan! Modeleted after Roman carved letters from the first century AD–still popular after 2000 years! ;-)

11. Art2code

nice fonts! i love Kontrapunkt
    thx

12. Paul
    May 7, 2009

bigyaz: Handbags at dawn! Seems Kirsti and Kyle have the right idea. Trajan a classic since the Roman Empire and Hoefler & Frere-Jones one of the world’s premium type foundries.

I’m not totally against free fonts, I’ve used a few myself in the past but if you’re not experienced enough to recognise a well designed font you can very easily fall into a habit of using poor fonts and your work is going to suffer in the long run.

Glad to see some us are still flying the flag for good font design.

13. SOS Media Web Design
    May 7, 2009

Interesting list. To me, it shows the future of “elegant”. Many comments mentioned the heavy classics: Bodoni, Caslon, Bembo — then others mentioned the more contemporary classics like Archer. This list reads to me like the “elegant free fonts” or “elegance on a budget”. Not to take away from the fonts, as I’ve downloaded and used Museo and Kontrapunkt on many occasions, but always with the notion that I was “modernizing” and “removing elegance” by applying those fonts. Thanks for the post.

14. Giu vicente

AMAZING TYPEFACES!

15. Tim Bennett
    May 8, 2009

These are some nice substitutes for the regular old fonts I see so much of. Thanks for posting!

16. Dumitru Brînzan
    May 8, 2009

Very good collection!

Gonna use 4-5 of these in my future works :)

Thanks for the set!

17. Gopal Raju
    May 9, 2009

Thanks a lot for sharing this :)

Gopal Raju
    productivedreams.com
    twitter.com/gopalraju

18. henry pitts
    May 9, 2009

this is the problem with fonts, once you place them side by side all looks the same.

19. Dawood
    May 9, 2009

Couldn’t believe you missed the ” TRAJAN PRO “

20. james
    May 9, 2009

Imperium seems to have changed since you looked at it

21. likethegoddess
    May 9, 2009

Hey, let’s not let the tone disrupt the message. When I saw “30 Extremely Elegant Serif Fonts,” I was hopeful. I look at this list and agree with Paul. I would call very few of these fonts “extremely elegant,” free or not. All the typefaces that Paul mentioned would rank more elegant to me than most on this list. One could take offense at this comment or use it as a helpful critique. The latter is my intention.

22. Torley
    May 9, 2009

@Paul @likethegoddess Your comments would’ve been helpful if you explained your understanding of “elegant” and precisely why some of your fave fonts should’ve been in place of (or in addition to) these.

Then again, this article could’ve shared more narrative on that, too. Let’s help each other out.

23. Karen
    May 9, 2009

I liked Queens Park when it used to be called Palatino.

24. tasarhane
    May 10, 2009

good resources.. thanks..

25. likethegoddess
    May 10, 2009

That’s a big ask, Torley. One can only go so far within the confines of blog comments.

I’d say the first change I’d make is to the title, dropping “extremely” and adding “free.”

“Elegant” is such a subjective term. One could write a book on typeface elegance!

To me, an elegant serif face must first be effortlessly readable as a paragraph font and would have an innate beauty of its own. Look at how well each letter relates to the others, how well kerned out of the box, the style expressed in each individual letter.

The serif typefaces that I find most mark elegant, as Paul mentioned and I alluded to, are Garamond, Baskerville, Caslon, Goudy, and Bembo. To those, I could add Bell, Mrs Eaves and Warnock. I’d add Bodini, as SOS Media Web Design mentioned, as a classic modern serif. I’d say the list is missing classic slab serifs like Rockwell and Lubalin Graph.

Compare the fonts I’ve mentioned to those on this list for yourself and see what you think. Remember to check the italic, bold, and italic/bold versions. Some may measure up, some not. It’s up to you.

26. Patricia
    May 10, 2009

For those complaining about the authors use of the word “Elegant” perhaps a better term, like “Contemporary?”

27. likethegoddess
    May 11, 2009

To clarify, I was complaining about “extremely” rather than “elegant,” although I like Patricia’s suggestion of “contemporary.”

28. honour chick
    May 11, 2009

wow… i hadn’t even heard of most of them. thanks for sharing the list. ;)

29. david
    May 11, 2009

Hello,
    I would like to point out that

NOVELLO lacks numbers,
    ALEXANDRIA is a stolen STYMIE,
    BIENETRESOCIAL is a blended GEORGIA and TIMES,
    DIVONA is extremely bad drawn (bad curves),
    GRANDESIGN is a MYRIAD with serifs added, very amateurish and the special characters are all MYRIAD,
    BERGAMO is a stolen BEMBO,
    SANFORD is a tweaked AMERICANA,
    TEMPORARIUM is a stolen GENTIUM (why would anyone rename a free font?),
    JUVELO has no special characters,
    JUSTUS is a stolen WALBAUM,
    DUSTISMO has broken characters and the bold weight has a corrupt i,
    PORTLAND is identical to QUEENS PARK and they are both stolen PALATINOS,
    CARDIFF is a stolen TIMES ROMAN,
    OXFORD is a stolen PERPETUA,
    ATHENA UNICODE is a stolen NEW BASKERVILLE,
    SLAB TALL X is a stolen and scaled SERIFA.

30. Michael Angrave
    May 11, 2009

Very nice collection of serif fonts. I’ve used a couple of these before. Certainly some new ones that I’m sure I will utilise in the future.

Nice post Henry, look forward to more…

31. killthemessenger
    May 12, 2009

thanks for providing these fonts free. i can’t believe what a bunch of jerks are here bitching about a gift horse. get a life! i’m taking my own advice and am off to continue mine :)

32. Vesa Nikkanen
    May 14, 2009

Always good articles here! Thanks & keep up the great work!

33. patrick james
    May 14, 2009

Great collection! I really love the Museo, and Kontrapunkt typefaces. :-D

34. khoma
    May 20, 2009

slab tall x? are you serious?

35. grazz
    June 9, 2009

Italic Queens Park almost looks like Garamond, nice.

36. Anja
    June 17, 2009

This list is absolutely fantastic!

I really liked most of the fonts on it. :)

37. Sam
    June 26, 2009

Thanks for the superb list, some of these serif fonts are gorgeous.

38. sandman6665
    June 29, 2009

Great selection! I’ve been using serif but only few I have pick, with this list i see there are other more beautiful serif fonts around..

39. Matt
    September 4, 2009

Thanks for this post! I’ve been on this site for just a few minutes and already I have several new sources for free fonts. Good stuff.

40. bo
    September 24, 2009

i just decided on centabel for a logo. this list helped me feel more confident in my choice, since i’m a beginner. and bonus, david didn’t have anything nasty to say about it. thanks for the list!

41. mta
    October 1, 2009

Thank you for your selection.

Is just an individual matter of taste.

Nobody can say you on how to choose your shares

I like Centabel and Juvelo.

42. Cara Dixon
    October 14, 2009

Great selection of fonts here! Would work really well with an elegant web design. I particularly like ‘Sanford’.

43. Rich
    November 27, 2009

Awesome list of resources! Thank you for sharing.

I would just like to add one more set of typography resources and that is the forum of http://www.pilo.me

It is a private typography forum with an unbelievable amount of free fonts, premium fonts and exclusive typefaces. I think it was voted the best typography forum of 2009. If you are a font lover/addict, check it out. Like I said though, it is either private or invite only. I have never seen a typography site like it with all it has to offer. Anyhow, check it out, pilo.me

Anyhow, great article, I definitely will be referring to these time to time.

44. CGB
    December 31, 2009

How could you leave off Copperplate Gothic Bold? Some of the fonts you’ve picked certainly are pleasing to the eye, but nothing is more pleasing, elegant and sophisticated than Copperplate. You’ve broken our hearts.

45. olis
    January 8, 2010

Nice post :)
    btw also nice serif fonts http://www.fonts2u.com/category.html?id=16

46. neer
    January 20, 2010

Please let me know. Are these all fonts web-safe.

47. Web Catch
    February 16, 2010

Great List of fonts, Contra looks amazing.

48. Juno Web Design
    February 27, 2010

Its nice to see new and really cool fonts. Thanks for sharing really nice and cool ideas here.

49. Daniel N.
    May 5, 2010

What font did you use in the title of this article?

50. Lisa
    October 19, 2010

wow this is lame why are people fighting over fonts…. what a shame…..nerds

51. Helen
    January 18, 2011

Half of these fonts are rip offs of genuine, well-crafted fonts, and the other half are just plain ugly.

52. Ben
    May 25, 2011

I agree with the above.

53. Vanessa
    July 4, 2011

I agree with Helen and Ben.

54. Iriko
    July 28, 2011

I agree with Helen, Ben and Vanessa.

55. Nekiro
    August 19, 2011

I agree with Helen, Ben, Vanessa and Iriko

56. Scott
    August 28, 2011

I don’t agree. Changing small details in a font makes it a new font entirely, so they should be “ripped off” and republished.

57. Annie
    October 12, 2011

I agree with Scott.

58. Melissa
    March 27, 2012

Just celebrate that these are free fonts… sheesh

59. zarith
    June 12, 2012

haha..totally agree with melissa

60. Scott
    July 16, 2012

I agree with the other Scott.
    But they left out some fancier ones:
    Espinosa Nova Regular, Cambridge Serial Regular

61. Nicola
    September 6, 2012

What is the name of the font used for the title of this article?

62. Mike
    May 2, 2013

Thanks for these, very helpful for a design project I’m working on