17 Designers you Should Know and their Workspaces

By / Sep 26, 2012 / Inspiration

Here at WDL we like to keep you posted on everything about Web Design, creativity and inspiration. And we also like to present you talented and inspiring designers, illustrators and artists. Today we gathered a list of designers you should know. Along with their bio, we will show their workspace, so you can check out other designer’s setups. Feel free to leave a comment and a pictures of your workspace.

Romina Kavcic

Romina Kavcic is the owner of Nueva, design studio based in Ljubljana, Slovenia. She has a love for creativity, technology, trends and users. When not thinking about design she’s geeking out over films or wondering in nature.

Megan Robichaud

Megan is a graphic designer and illustrator from [Hampton] New Brunswick, Canada, currently living in the beautiful city of Vancouver. She is a recent graduate of the Art Institute of Vancouver’s Graphic Design program, working as a freelance designer and illustrator. Megan is pretty excited by most things design-related, but she is particularly captivated by illustration and package design.

Caitlin McEvoy

Taking particular interest in hand-drawn lettering and typographic illustration, Caitlin McEvoy is a graphic design enthusiast of many years. A creative type from a young age, Caitlin has taught herself everything she knows about good design. Design, in all its forms, is the core of her day-to-day operations; always striving to better her knowledge and skills. Currently dividing time between University life in Hull and home life in rural Leicestershire, Caitlin lives a content lifestyle working as a freelance designer as and when the right project comes along.

Lucie Karásková

“I’m 21 years old iOS designer from Prague, Czech Republic. I’m specialized in Icons and UI design. Lover of good food, porsche cars and apple things :)”

Adham Dannaway

Adham Dannaway is a User Interface Designer with a passion for designing clean and functional user experiences. Also an avid Front End Developer who focuses on writing clean, elegant and efficient code. Loves HTML5, CSS3, WordPress, jQuery, trance music and Star Wars. Catch him at adhamdannaway.com or on Twitter – @AdhamDannaway, Facebook or Dribbble.

Tais Horta Trovão

Freelancer graphic and textile-pattern designer based in San Francisco, California. Tais works with Letterpress printings, Business cards, Identities, Packaging, Wedding invitations, Textile-pattern designs.

Osvaldas Valutis

Osvaldas Valutis was born in the summer of 88″ and currently lives in beautiful Klaipėda, Lithuania. Since 2003 he has been a web designer who specializes in website design, typography and front-end development: HTML, CSS, JavaScript.

Timothy Whalin

Timothy Whalin is a strategy-focused interaction designer based in Denver, Colorado, using user experience to solve business problems and create engaging user interfaces. He is a mobile UX designer at Deloitte Digital.

Callum Chapman

Callum Chapman is a user interface designer from the UK, and has been running Circlebox Creative for the past 4 years. He is also currently working on his side-project called DRINK Manchester whilst traveling with his MBP and Canon SLR.

Linda Eliasen

Description by Linda:

Notable things:
Desktop backgrounds: neil armstrong suiting up for Apollo 11, and a nasa wind tunnel control room.
Standard apple setup with the retina display and my spaceship of a mouse – the logitech MX I think. I do all my everything with that mouse. She’s a doll.

Folder where I manage my projects in real life! I don’t use digital software or apps to organize my projects – this method works best for me. I have 1 index card dedicated to a project. the index card has a to-do list on it for that project, and a short list of things i need to know about it. then i paperclip all associating documents/sketches/comps/printouts/ etc to that index card.
pencil holder with: Kind bar, nail file, clippers, tweezers, and floss (a girl’s gotta be prepared). Paper clips, tiny notebooks, index cards, field notes pencils, fancy copiic pens, and notes stuck to it: the current type/margin standard sizes i’m using for codecademy’s site

Coffee mug from batdorf & branson, my favorite Atlanta roaster. LWYD coasters to give to people who are fans of tacos and letterpresses things (these people are hard to come by). Brown bag full of goodies from russanddaughters (left as a surprise by a very sweet friend), orange notebook, sanrio stationery, kindle, a book about Sagan’s golden voyager record, and a book about an artist turned astronaut.

Minty green post-its.
Aeron chair. so ugly, but so damn comfortable.

Alex Riegert-Waters

“Alex Riegert-Waters graduated from the University of Arizona in 2009 with a BFA in Visual Communication. His interests include drawing, breakfast cereal regardless of what time it is, color, and growing and maintaining a beard. He currently works for (Moxie Sozo) in Boulder, Colorado and is focused on becoming more awesome.”

Kerem

I’m a designer of digital products in his late 20s who is a little too into simplicity and pixel-perfection. I studied interactive visual imaging and photography in Missouri, and somehow ended up in foggy San Francisco designing things for companies like Fitbit, Pinterest, One Kings Lane, Zendesk…

I am currently running my small digital product design studio named 34 West Co in San Francisco where we partner with smaller teams to simplify the relationships between humans and computers.

Marcos Torres

“I’m a Graphic Artist from Porto Alegre, Brazil. I’m also a contributor for Abduzeedo, doing some tutorials and design related posts.

Keith Davis Young

“Growing up deep in the verdant bosom of Bryan,TX, art came as natural to Keith Davis Young as sitting on porches and catching lightning bugs. After picking up a degree from Baylor University and getting his fill of fluorescent lighting, boardrooms, and 5 years in ad agency experience, he struck out on his own as a full-time freelancer.

Now specializing in design, photography, and bear hugs.

His photographic work has been featured in many interesting publications, including but not limited to magazines like Vice, Dazed, Frankie, Wilder Quarterly, Mint, Huh, Slice, Positive, The Photo Album: Vol. 1, Tell Mum Everything is Ok, Austin Monthly as well as less tangible destinations like Triangle Triangle, Booooooom, The Quiet Life, and the Shashin Collective. He currently enjoys the hell out of being based in Austin, Texas with his english bulldog, Moose. He will gladly have a beer with you.”

Note: Keith recently moved his studio so he is still working on his new office. He was kind enough to send us a pic of the space and we will definitely follow up in the future to see how it ended up looking ;)

Jason Wu

Lead product designer at Zendesk. I am a San Francisco based designer, an Apple fan, loves snowboarding, photography and believes design is delivering on simplicity and functionality.

Eva Black

I’m Eva Black, owner and graphic designer of my little Los Angeles based design studio, Eva Black Design. I began freelancing while finishing up my undergrad and have since received a BFA in Studio Arts with an emphasis in Graphic Design. I have a love for design and a drive to create.

Jory Raphael

Jory Raphael is a designer and illustrator based in Burlington, Vermont. He specializes in the clean and usable at Sensible World, and is the co-founder of Notabli. Jory is the guy behind all of the artwork and logos for 5by5, and is the creator of the custom crafted icons at Symbolicons.

Jory’s office is in Three West Collective, an awesome co-working space in Burlington, Vermont.

1. Adham Dannaway
    September 26, 2012

Wow, some very cool workspaces here. Hopefully I’ll update mine soon! :-)

2. Tuca
    September 26, 2012

Meh. Just the usual Ikea desk with a collection of assorted iDevices. Nothing spectacular…

• dpote

agreed!!

3. Jenna Markowski
    September 26, 2012

These work spaces all look so sleek, neat and organized! Makes me wonder how many of these designers had to do a little bit of cleaning before they sent in their photos, because Lord knows my desk looks nothing like this! At the very least, this is great inspiration to get my own work space tidied up a bit. These all look like excellent environments to foster creativity!

4. Wiellyam

Awesome workspace..

5. Pseudos
    September 26, 2012

How can these designers work in such clean environments?

• Callum Chapman
      September 27, 2012

I make an effort to clean mine every morning. Hate working in messy environments. My design is clean, and so is my desk. :)

6. Dave Colburn
    September 26, 2012

Nice follow up to this article from May: http://www.netmagazine.com/features/20-leading-web-designers-desks-your-inspiration

Reinforces the dominance of MBP or Air for the design world.

7. Marth
    September 26, 2012

Great post! Love seeing the different workspaces of some of the designers I knew of, and some great ones I didn’t

8. Jonathan Versailes
    September 26, 2012

Relatively un-inspiring work spaces… Tuca was right, mostly just Ikea furniture and Macbook’s. I’ve had two of the desks shown in these photos.

In theory I should qualify as a designer with a workspace you should all know because my photos would look practically identical.

Pretty lame blog post.

9. Gavin
    September 26, 2012

Creative workplaces, I liked them will makeover mine as well.. Great inspiration..

10. avi
    September 26, 2012

Indeed awesome workspace. Difficult to believe tho that they are so well organized and tidy. Great article tho.

11. Sreevathsan

Excellent Post :)

12. GDesign
    September 26, 2012

Pretentious. Geekery with all those little… toys. Too clean. What? You’re not a busy designer?

I have a clean workstation, its not kaotic or a complete mess but its also not something I use to show off my latest Mac gear or use it as a social status thing. Its work.

I have a gallon of water on the desk, bunch of earphones and a 20 year old pair of Sony headphones, a small WD 1tb Passport, an old flash drive, an old Logitech MX30 mouse, a kick ass Canon scanner, an old GTech drive as a PS scratch… pens, markers, and a 3-ring binder I placed pre-3hole punched paper in for sketching out ideas, taking to client meetings.

And… everything is CLEAN, you wont find a dirty keyboard etc. but not all set up so perfectly to show off.

Focus on your work people.

• Matt
      September 26, 2012

I actually work better with a perfectly set up work space. I clean it up at the end of each week. Not saying these pictures weren’t propped, but some people put effort into keeping their workspaces this clean.

13. Sheena Oosten
    September 26, 2012

Can’t wait for the day I have my own empty space so I can really get my teeth stuck into designing it :)

14. Matt
    September 26, 2012

Wow, love the balcony view. That’s ridiculous. I bet I could mock up some good stuff with that inspiration!

15. Mizko

Love this!

Congrats Adham!

I love Osvaldas Valutis setup, great views!

16. Web Design Malaysia
    September 26, 2012

Osvaldas Valutis has the “Dream Workspace” !! Impressive!

17. Mark Heggan
    September 26, 2012

Great post Gisele, and I’m certainly not jealous at all of all the great designer workspaces at all, in any way…I promise!!

Osvaldas, that roof terrace looks like an insane place to draw inspiration from!!

18. Web Design Inspiration Today
    September 27, 2012

Osvaldas Valutis’s setup is really on the balcony? Be careful, don’t let the wind blow your papers and other stuffs :)

Great list of Great designers with Great workspace! Thanks for posting like this. I wish I could have one someday

19. Paulo
    September 27, 2012

That guy who send a picture of a chair must be very funny!

• Paulo
      September 27, 2012

*sent

20. lani
    September 27, 2012

Adham Dannaway you’re one of the best! Love your forte…

21. Luís Serrano
    September 27, 2012

I think i love alllllllllllll this workspaces *.*

22. Christine Whone
    September 27, 2012

What’s up with all the workspace haters in the comments?
    Haters gonna hate I guess. :P

So anyway, I’m a lover not a hater and I love everyone’s workspace, but my favourites are Love Eva Black and Jory Raphael’s desks. Love Eva’s down to basics interior decorating theme. Simple wood chair, framed art resting on the floor, basic desk and shelving units – so cute!

Jory’s space is neat simply because of the exposed brick, everywhere! Oh, and gotta love those rafters too.

Here’s a photo of my workspace over at Actually (www.actuallywecreate.com)

23. Daniel Vargiu
    September 27, 2012

Nice place to work, i really identify with Jason Wu and Jory Raphae, big space, confort, and good and relax place, great job Miss. Giselle! (Hello from Venezuela)…

24. Julián
    September 27, 2012

Really nice workspaces, inspiration for designing our own !
    Really cool article, thanks !

ps.Adham Dannaway’s twitter handle is bad linked, you’re missing an ‘a’ . @AdhamDannaway

25. Aman Anderson
    September 28, 2012

Sweet! Love all of the work spaces!

26. Ceba
    September 28, 2012

For working and creating innovative designs we need to concentrate and thats what these workspaces produces such environment that helps us to concentrate on our designs.

27. Design Turnpike
    September 28, 2012

Um – Jory Raphael’s space is insane!

28. Brian Holdsworth
    September 30, 2012

I really like the idea of this article, but I’m disappointing to see a lack of variation here. Designers give a lot of lip service to individuality, but these pictures all look exactly the same. Maybe that’s why any web design inspiration blog, I visit, is a sea of uniformity these days!?

29. Baskerville
    September 30, 2012

I hope Apple are paying for this article, because it looks like an Apple commercial.

30. algeriano
    October 4, 2012

nice work spaces guys :)

31. Derek Kimball
    October 5, 2012

Jory Raphael, I’m thoroughly digging your workspace. A little ping pong would definitely come in handy to break up those long stretches at the computer.

WebDesignLedger…I’d love to be considered in any future articles relating to designers :)

32. devidwhite
    February 21, 2013

33. Rihan Terence
    April 6, 2013

This is really amazing, and I’m certainly not jealous at all of all the great designer workspaces at all, in any way…I promise!!

34. Jonny
    September 2, 2013

Great workspaces and designers. I love all the dual screens, best way to work in my opinion.