18 Great Examples of Sketched UI Wireframes and Mockups

By / May 20, 2010 / Inspiration

Whether you’re designing a user interface for a website or an iPhone app, it’s always a good idea to start with a wireframe. It can be a big time saver if you’re able to nail down the placement of major layout elements early on in a project. There are a number of wireframing applications out there, but a lot of user interface designers like to start out on paper with sketches of what things might look like. With so many tools available to quickly create digital wireframes, some may argue that this is an unnecessary step in the design process. But I think the free flowing style of a sketched wireframe or mockup can be refreshing. Besides, there’s nothing like good ole pencil and paper to get the creative juices flowing.

For this post, I’ve collected 18 great examples of sketched UI wireframes and mockups. A lot of these look so good that you may be inspired to start your next project with a sketch.

NationWide / NASCAR

iPad App Sketch

Web Layout Sketches

Librespeak interface sketch

Original Twitter Concept

1. Peter Steen Høgenhaug
    May 20, 2010

Nice collection… However, the link to the NASCAR sketch takes me to a wedding invitation design at Flickr.

• Henry
      May 20, 2010

Thanks for pointing that out. It’s been fixed.

2. Eko Setiawan

Great collections to share…thanks
    Give me some inspirations.

3. Tobin Harris

Awesome :)

Have you seen the Elite game original sketches?

More sketches listed here:

And http://yUML.me is good for developers/analysts to “sketch” UML.

4. Web Design
    May 20, 2010

Brilliant mate, a lot of great ideas here. Thanks for sharing!

5. Vini
    May 20, 2010

awesome! thanks for sharing this amazing collection.

6. Jordan Walker
    May 20, 2010

Truly great developers can express their ideas on paper in a manner which is concise and easy to understand.

7. Marco Barbosa

Nice inspiration.

I love sketching things.

8. Monique
    May 20, 2010

Love the sketches! I like seeing how ideas take shape. :) I’ve never done a design without drawing it out on paper first, so it’s really cool to see how the professionals do it.

9. Chris Jamero
    May 20, 2010

From paper to awesomeness!

10. Scott Corgan
    May 20, 2010

See, my issue isn’t that I don’t want to wireframe. It’s that I can’t draw. These look like masterpieces themselves!

11. Mr.shafique
    May 20, 2010

Nice :), construct the website without Mockup and Information Architecture Diagram at paper is just like you start building a Plaza with a proper Map.

12. Arthur Klepchukov
    May 20, 2010

These look nice but that’s not the point of sketches and wireframes. Why are most of them so high fidelity? Why spend so much time on what’s supposed to be a quick concept sketch?

• Brett
      May 24, 2010

Agreed. You should be able to wireframe a page in about 15 minutes and have a solid idea of the layout/functionality. Some of these examples would easily take hours. When you are on a time schedule and project budget, these types of wireframes simply aren’t practical.

13. Nick Burd

Great post.

I sketch out my thoughts first normally, but they are not as indepth as this.

I also really want to start sketching non website related things again.. I should start taking some classes to get me back into the swing of things again.

Thanks again for the post. !!

14. Marc
    May 20, 2010

Even with the tools available for wire frames. All of our sites start with a sketch. A lot of the time these sketches are done in the presence of the client – usually during the design discovery meeting. It is a way of engaging our clients, giving them very quick visuals. Our clients love the brainstorming and we love the time that it saves with the back and forth of the design brief. A tablet or software just doesn’t compare at this stage of the process.

15. HowToPlaza
    May 21, 2010

Great examples of paper sketches. They give a good idea of what goes where but I’d still prefer digital wireframing tools so that things can be reorganized and redrawn without much time.

16. Wion
    May 21, 2010

Links, Cartoonity and maybe CommLogic are about the extent I would go with sketches. Definitely wirethumbs too.

Many of the others–all nice–look a little like design for the sake of it, which may not be realistic for every project. I think it also reflects one’s background; user-focused professionals (UCD, usability…) will probably keep it simple (pencil sketches) while more creative types throw in the art. Just depends on the project, I guess.

All great work, nonetheless!

17. Johnson Koh
    May 21, 2010

GEOINT2009 and NewLocal looks really neat and detailed. Excellent post.

18. Rakesh Menon
    May 22, 2010

Paper sketches are indeed an integral part that needs to be done before you plunge into designing the site, to save time in the workflow process.

19. Murat Esenli
    May 23, 2010

Great works. I love these sketch works for any design. I must start all new web project and show to design team.

20. Martin Kulakowski
    June 2, 2010

Thanks for including 2 of mine. I’m always trying to not lose dozens of them from my desk every day, so I can share with others. Here’s some more tagged on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/martin-kulakowski/tags/sketches/

21. 10 Free Printable Web Design Wireframing Templates | Freebies
    June 4, 2010

[...] = 'webdesignledger'; tweetmeme_service = 'bit.ly'; Share A couple of weeks ago we posted a showcase of sketched UI wireframes. It illustrated how starting out on paper can be an effective way to begin the design process. It [...]

22. Vincent
    June 4, 2010

Cool examples. I didn’t used to sketch, because I didn’t think it was important, but now I do :)

Thanks for sharing

23. YOUR-TITLE
    July 7, 2010

18 Great Examples of Sketched UI Wireframes and Mockups…

Thank you for submitting this cool story – Trackback from YOUR-TITLE…

24. John Moore
    July 13, 2010

Interesting discussion on the merits of low fidelity wireframes vs high fidelity wireframes – although in this case its quick sketching vs most of the lovingly crafted ‘high-fidelity’ artworks. I agree with some of the earlier comments – that the most important part of the sketching process should be getting ideas out of collective heads and onto paper as quickly as possible to evaluate their feasibility – in as little detail as needed for broader project team / client discussion.

The well documented process that Adaptive Path have socialised is a great example of this process in action

More recently Tyler Tate on UXBooth has explained his iterative design process through low fi to hi fi to prototyping which gives a great summary of the kind of design thinking we use at *experience.

Do what you need to get ideas out early but dont overdo it – and as Tyler suggests – know which medium will get you to your next stage quickest.

25. renee
    August 2, 2010

thank you.
    Very nice.

26. Heynoon
    August 17, 2010

thanks. very cool examples for prototyping.

27. Fransgaard
    September 28, 2010

Good to see the pen(cil) is still mighty (^_^)

28. Jamie Jones
    October 24, 2010

Great article. Thanks :)

29. richtaur
    January 15, 2011

Really inspiring! I’ve been using my tablet for everything lately but sometimes you just can’t beat pen & paper.

30. DJ Ben
    January 16, 2011

I definitely didn’t realize people where still using the old pencil and paper to sketch out web designs… Looking at the above examples makes me want to include this in my own process – I’m tipping my sketches won’t look as good as all the above. A great collection, very inspiring!

31. James
    January 18, 2011

These are some great sketches. I to make mockups and they are very useful for clients to see something visual.

32. Patrick Ashamalla
    May 10, 2011

I just stumbled across this post through another article and noticed one of my wireframes was on here. Just wanted to say thanks for the mention!

33. Eunice
    December 14, 2011

Just need to get over the fact I can’t draw

34. sylhet directory
    May 20, 2012

1000 thanks for your showcase.

waiting for next post.

35. Jian Adornado
    September 27, 2012

Cool list! Take a look at my sketches at http://www.jianart.com/blog/
    Let me know your thoughts.

36. Tomas
    November 11, 2012

I am just wondering. Everything should be start on the blank of piece of paper. I mean I am going to start built my website. What I will need? Hand sketched icon, sketch wireframe, sketched visuals on web sites- sketched everything… so my question is. I havent go anything- I mean the equipment. Can you give me advice what is the best? Which kind of sketch pencils? Ink or what else? And where to buy it?

37. Unaiz
    May 22, 2013

These are really great..! Thank you for the inspiration!

38. Howard Steele
    July 9, 2013

Great sketches :) especially the one with watercolors.
    Inspiring!

39. giorgio
    July 15, 2013

Awesome collection!
    For sketching software systems, drawing tools are not alone anymore. For software architects and developers, cloud-based modelers are emerging. See http://www.genmymodel.com, it’s about editing UML online with fast code generators.
    Giorgio