19 Inspiring Examples of Text Over Images in Web Design

By / May 28, 2013 / Inspiration

In web design there are a lot of combinations that deliver a beautiful page, including the image + text duo. Combining beautiful images and nice/readable text can result in a eye candy touch that will get your user’s attention. To show you that, today we gathered some inspiring examples of the image – text duo in action. From big images and text to small headers and delicate type, there are different approaches here, enjoy.

Let us know if you are interested in an article showing more techniques and tips on text over images in web design.

Mount Chapel

Kiliwatch

Sweez

Harry’s

1. anishafonville
    May 28, 2013

Giselle,

Great compilation of text over image designs. Inspiring, indeed!

2. Web Designer
    May 28, 2013

All great examples! Especially like the second image – text and background blend go well together.

3. Tim
    May 28, 2013

We went this design direction with http://calio.co and have really liked the outcome. It makes the text pop and really adds a sense of story to the site.

One word of warning. If your site is responsive, check out how the text looks over the background when the dimensions have changed.

4. Web Design Wolverhampton
    May 28, 2013

Brilliant selection, as always. Thanks. Also take a look at http://www.mobilewebdesignwolverhampton.co.uk for a nice big background image with text overlay.

5. Dave
    May 28, 2013

That Sweez site is awesome. I love the blackboard at the bottom.

6. Jason
    May 28, 2013

These are really great examples. It is tough sometimes when putting text on top of images because you risk the amount of contrast. I’ve learned that it is more important that user is able to read you text then it is just to make the type look stunning. Thanks!

7. Website For Business
    May 29, 2013

Really inspiring examples.. Thanks for sharing. Have a look at the designs we have created for our clients at http://www.websiteforbusiness.com.

8. Lee
    May 29, 2013

I would love techniques and tips. I’ve really gotten into this for our church media and it works really well

• Gabriel
      June 13, 2013

I second that notion, Lee! I love the aesthetic this look can provide, but it can be difficult to pull off at times. For instance, sometimes white text on white/light background works and sometimes not so much.

What makes it work and what should we avoid?

9. Leigh Jeffery
    May 29, 2013

Beautiful collection:) Very inspiring!

10. Edison
    May 29, 2013

Definitely some great websites, but I feel the some of these examples are debatable. One of my biggest take away from my current job is function and placing dark text in shadowed areas (smog bicyclettes) or white text over white walls (frank digital [2] / kilowatch / ada blackjack shop) is a bit dangerous– harder to read.

I feel the “Hangar” and first / orange themed “Frank Digital” design are the leading designs to follow in our pool of websites. Both examples do a great job in having text visibly pop out / easily readable within the user experience.

Thoughts?

11. Andrea LaChapelle
    May 30, 2013

Very nice insperation, however there are a couple that I don’t care for because of the readability.

12. Gilly Vincent
    May 30, 2013

Luv joe’s garage, Idiom, Sweez & Frank Digital and would luv the simplicity of Ada Blackjack shop if the white text was not being lost in the picture. Unfortunately I am I the belief that you need to be able to read a main heading. Sorry to be like that as I really like the design.

13. Peter Hindrup
    May 31, 2013

If text over is not readily readable, it serves no function. If iut serves no function, how do you justify putting it there?

I wouldn’t like to be attempting to sell a client on a good many of these designs.

It is not about how ‘pretty it looks, but how effect is at grabbing attention, getting people to stop and read it. If they don’t, it matters not how ‘great’ the website is!

14. Gavin
    June 3, 2013

I saw some really cool examples of text over images, images which contains textual material not only provides information to clients but looks effective as well.

15. Web Design Nashville
    June 6, 2013

I just want to say I am beginner to blogging and actually loved you’re web blog. More than likely I’m want to bookmark your site. You amazingly come with fabulous articles.