Google recently shared on their Google Developers showcase section their case study on making Google+ completely responsive.
- Having two version of the site, meant double implementation which resulted in duplicate code
- Developing for multiple experiences, blurred the lines between desktop and mobile
- The added feature made the desktop version slow and heavy, with an weight of about 5MB
- Slow and unstable networks
- Lack of interactive features
Google is great at setting the example for revolutionary web development, and sharing their experiences for others to benefit from. Visit the Google developers site to read the solutions Google came up with and how they managed to focus on responsive design.
Good article. Wish they had gone into more detail regarding the framework, but I suppose they can’t give away all their secrets!