Inspiring Examples of Negative Space in Logo Design

By / Jun 24, 2011 / Inspiration

Here on WDL we really like negative space and the concept surrounding it, specially when it comes to logos. For those not familiar with the term, negative space is all that empty space around and between elements in a design, it’s the space that some designers use to give a nice and unique touch to things. Using the space around a logo is a clever way to give it a beautiful and elegant look, so instead of adding elements you can use the empty space to strengthen the meaning of the design.

neglogos01

neglogos05

neglogos10

neglogos09

neglogos12

1. Anna Green
    June 24, 2011

When it comes to logo design, negative space is most definitely a positive thing! Great collection of beautiful logos here and they illustrate perfectly your point. Thanks for sharing!

2. Sagar Ranpise
    June 24, 2011

Awesome Logos!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

3. Evan Skuthorpe
    June 24, 2011

great collection. my personal favourite would have to be the bull entertainment one.

4. Akhilvishnu
    June 24, 2011

good collection, i really like negative space in logos

5. JT
    June 24, 2011

Fantom is the best one, because it’s totally in line with their name and make it really strong! For the other logos, it’s nice but that’s all…

• Dave Hall
      July 1, 2011

I like the typographic execution of the logo… except for the fact that the concept is based on the word phantom.

• Phil Doughty
      June 25, 2012

Whole heartedly agree. Only 2 colours so it can be faxed and still be strong & effective

6. greggarrettdesign
    June 24, 2011

fantastic compilation of logos, love em all..

7. David
    June 24, 2011

I love the “Mr. White” design. Very professional, but with a meek, approachable feeling too it.

8. R.Gunasekar

Nice logo collection.

9. Alice
    June 24, 2011

These logos that play with negative space are amongst the most fun logos out there. I wish I had more opportunities to create logos like these. You’ve got to be really creative to come up with something truly unique and original.

10. ASpikes

Very interesting collection

11. fipe
    June 24, 2011

Duck rouge is the best although i quite like the bull entertainment logo.

12. Toronto Web Design Company
    June 24, 2011

Great list! My personal favorite is 24X7. It is amazing how the artist has achieved the effect!

13. Goncalo Espinha
    June 25, 2011

Very nice inspirational post! thank you very much

14. Snoggle News
    June 25, 2011

So inspirational! negative space isn’t something you see very often.. but when it’s used properly it really gives an amazing effect.

15. Almog Shemesh
    June 26, 2011

great stuff! amazing ideas, negative space in logos is my favourite kind!

16. Floricel @ Starting an Online Business
    June 26, 2011

Hi Gisele,

This is a very excellent idea! Well, I didn’t know it’s called “negative space” (for logo designs). And yeah! I like it more. It’s simple, yet it gives more emphasis to the logo itself.

Way to go WDL! :) Cheers!

17. sidd
    June 26, 2011

Very nice logos

18. Derek Kimball
    June 27, 2011

The “Hammer Projects” logo is amazing. The creative use of negative space is apparent right away (at least it was for me).

19. Pragmatic Design
    June 28, 2011

Negative space is wonderful, thanks for bringing this collection to us.

Check out the negative space in the “Frozen Solutions” and “Ladder Media” logos on this page: http://www.pragmaticdesign.co.uk/our-work/logo-portfolio/

20. Jahangir
    June 28, 2011

This is amazing, I mean you don’t have to do anything but just use the logo surrounding space creatively to convey the hidden message, WOW :)

21. inspirationfeed
    July 1, 2011

Nice logos!

22. Daniel Lim
    October 21, 2011

Hi Gisele!

I love collection of inspiring logos like the one you’ve just made. However, unlike those that I’ve seen so many times all over the web, that are more or less reworks & copies of the same article, just varying in order and presentation, I must say that you’ve really amassed a good collection of logos that I’ve not come across.

Love the way how they’ve all managed to make use of negative space so effectively.

I think one reason why the logos stand out is because of the way they cleverly utilize the subtle tweaks in fonts that give them that edge and extra snazziness.

I’m a design and brand identity lover myself. Once again, great collection! You made me smile! :)

//Daniel

23. Saadcreative
    October 21, 2011

I believe that negaive space design is one of the best approaches in logo design. Besides the fact that it’s trendy, and some may say cliché – as I did before – in science terms, our eye percieves everything and our brain analyzes it. The fact of whether or not you realize a part of what you see is what separates your conscious mind from the inconscious.

Many logos only talk to the conscious, some may be strong because our conscience is trained differently within each person. Negative space logos communicate to both levels of perception and I come to the “so far so it is” conclusion that negative spaces logos are more striking than “positive” logo.

It doesn’t mean that one is necessarely better than the other, up to the artist to make it better!