Web Design Trends That Will Disappear in 2014

By / Dec 5, 2013 / Trends

If you’re looking forward to changes that come with starting a new year, you may also be excited to learn what sorts of trends are emerging in the web design world. What most people aren’t talking about, but should be, are the types of design trends that are on their way out, which ones should be left out and those that are unlikely to be seen again after the frosty morning of January 2nd. Here are a number of styles that are dying out fast. Some are bad design, but many of the following have merely fallen in favor because they shined a little too brightly in 2013.

Homepage Sliding Banners

These eye-catching banners seemed like a great idea once upon a time. They’re brightly colored, show visitors a wealth of information and have the appearance of being interactive. Most people, however, find them more distracting and annoying than anything else, so they’re falling quickly in favor of more truly interactive and less gaudy design, like single-page scrolling and simple drop-down menus.

slider

Extensive Fill-Out Forms

Getting a user’s information is essential for certain aspects of running an online business, whether it’s an e-commerce site or a simple blog that has a contact form. But the days of seeing a full page of questions, extending into optional areas that visitors now intentionally skip for fear of offering information that is used purely for marketing is on the wane. Asking tons of questions only serves to alienate possible customers, and fortunately websites seem to be realizing that.

form

Circular Script Logos

Using a script font within a circle, either outlined or filled in, monogram or full title, used to be the height of cool logo design, but so many people used this look, including individuals on their personal websites as well as professional companies, people became completely burned out by it. There may be a resurgence of this style some day, but it’s safe to say most are steering clear of this overused badge.

cirlcelogo

Flash Intros

Remember these attention grabbers? Flash intros can still be found here and there on ostentatious and out of touch websites that haven’t updated their look, but for the most part people have moved on to simple design and limited features. Videos are great, and flash paved the way for them, but the music and animation just seem to annoy visitors now, who want more control when they’re surfing and fewer surprises.

Web Design Trends That Will Disappear in 2014

Too Many Fonts

Everyone knows typography is important, and it’s a lot of fun to play with, but it’s essential that you show restraint when using typefaces on logos, websites and business cards. It’s particularly obvious when someone without graphic design experience develops a site, as they tend to complicate the look with a stunning array of various fonts. Fortunately, even amateurs are learning to scale back and use no more than two, maybe three fonts at the most.

fonts

Complicated Design

If you thought having lots of icons, design elements, fonts and features means you have an exciting and interactive site, you might be right, but the overall look is overwrought and overwhelming. As design trends move forward, they’re moving away from complex to simple for a more enjoyable browsing experience. You don’t want visitors confused or lost; you just want them to think your work is beautiful. You’re unlikely to see complicated successful websites in 2014.

Discovering the highly anticipated trends of the New Year has everyone buzzing, but it’s just as important to see from where the styles are moving. Though some of these features were once incredibly popular, they’ve suffered the ultimate fate of rising to the top: total saturation. And that means fatigue. Watch out for overly popular and overly hyped designs in 2014, or they may end up in a list just like this a year from now.

Like a true San Franciscan, Maryam Taheri has a passion for dogs and the Giants. She heads up Content Marketing at creativemarket.com where she writes about all things creative.

1. Weijian
    December 5, 2013

True, most of this features must be or removed or updated… unfortunately most of the users, aka Clients (not designers) they just get stuck on what is out there, and they don’t see the “Simplicity” as an option

2. Siti Web Monza
    December 5, 2013

Why should sliders disappear? O.O Why exactly in 2014? It’s curious :D (I’ll send all my clients to convince them :P)

3. Jason
    December 5, 2013

Parallax
    gradients
    rounded corners

probably not sliders, as much as I hate them they fill a need.

4. Mike
    December 5, 2013

Fewer circular avatars would be nice too, but I’m not holding my breath

5. Mark
    December 5, 2013

Maryam

we can only hope that these dissappear, but I have my doubtrs.

Other things that should go are continuous scrolling and responsive web design.

Both are incredibly detrimental to the user experience.

• Matt
      December 6, 2013

• Kelly
        December 9, 2013

@Mark – Are you confused about responsive design? The “responsive” in responsive design is about responding to the situation (screen size, resolution)- it’s anything but detrimental. It solves what was an issue for clients and done right, delivers an optimal experience.

• Jase
          December 21, 2013

Kelly, I find that the “lowest common denominator” approach to web design (which is a keystone of responsive design) is detrimental to the user experience for every user that isn’t using a first generation iPhone or equivalent.

One of the things that developers pride themselves on is developing for the mobile platforms first, then verifying that it will scale up as opposed to the way it has been done before the “responsive” craze. We used to design a great site and then if it didn’t scale down easily, we’d create the mobile version with fewer features and less visual appeal so it ran smoother on old mobile devices.

Now, we create the website with fewer features and less visual appeal and force desktop users with high end graphics or even tablet users with hi-res screens to suffer through a boring and unappealing website just so we can call it “responsive” and the user can have supposedly the same experience regardless of the device. Who wants that? How many web users had to complain before this idea got traction? I have never heard anyone complain about two versions of a website except developers. I have heard lots of people dismayed about the terribly boring desktop experience on the web.

I like being able to choose between a mobile version of a website that is stripped down and only offers the basic features I may need while running errands or something and the much more enjoyable desktop experience when I am using my desktop, laptop, or hi-end tablet.

In my opinion, responsive design has taken the user experience from rich a varied to boring and uniform. If we were talking about fashion this way, “responsive” fashion would have us all wearing the same ugly jumpsuit because it’s the most efficient and nobody would have to worry about what to wear–who cares if it’s a wedding? It’s responsive. No thanks.

Just my opinion.

6. Ron Roe
    December 5, 2013

I can’t help but feel that this is more of a wish list than a list based on reality. Flash intros, for the most part, have been gone for some time now. That is, at least for every site updated in the last 6 years or so. Sliders? Deride them as much as you may, but I think we have another few years before we see them go. And since we’re making a wish list, we may as well add parallax scrolling, ouch-my-index-finger-hurts sites.

7. Arianna
    December 6, 2013

Very true said,
    Most of the designing feature has been removed. You can take a look on flash website that is almost disappear today. Their are more another feature that also has been closed.

• Andy Web
      May 12, 2014

Great article! We look forward to using this at our web design agency.
      thanks for the information

8. Victoria
    December 6, 2013

Hey Maryam,
    Great post.Thanks for sharing.But I’m sad to know the first point because I love to use sliders at the header of my website and they look good not irritating.

9. Katypeterson
    December 6, 2013

Yes correct i agree with your 1st point about Homepage Sliding Banners.

10. Subeesh
    December 6, 2013

I agree some facts mentioned here, but consider geographically, business-wise, cultural-wise, it can be vary anytime :) Being web designers we have to consider in all aspects, cant be rule out everything. Thanks for this tips.

11. Jamie
    December 6, 2013

Seems like the sliders issue is completely polarized. Some say they’re detrimental, some say essential. Some say ugly, others engaging. I don’t need them to go away, but an alternative that’s as easy to implement would be welcome.

12. Matt
    December 6, 2013

@Mark. How is responsive web design “incredibly detrimental to the user experience”? Care to further elaborate on this statement? I fail to see how this statement could be any further from the truth…

13. Tech Lives
    December 6, 2013

Great designed responsive and mobile sites will be the perfect item in 2014. I beleive we cannot neglect mobile phone users.

14. Ali
    December 6, 2013

I am so sick of sliders lol, Finally.

15. Website Design Malaysia
    December 7, 2013

I highly doubt that sliding banners will go away. It’s one of those web elements that web owners often use it for different promotional materials. don’t think it will go away.

flash will definitely go away.

16. Kev
    December 7, 2013

Fantastic article! You can create a free modern & stylish website and/or blog at http://simplesite.co using a professional premium theme. You have full control over everything & get free hosting. No catches, check it out.

• Kelly
      December 9, 2013

Thanks Kev for the shameless self promotion. I’ll take 10.

17. Steve
    December 7, 2013

I don’t think the sliders will be gone in 2014…

Though the flash is still faded out mostly in 2013 as well.

Now the web design and development race is going towards Mobile websites, simple and clean designs.

18. Netlings – PSD to HTML
    December 8, 2013

Well I can tell you designers are moving more towards parallax rather than just using sliders at home page. That’s the trend I have noticed working on many PSD to HTML projects for them. So I would believe that this could really happen next year!

19. Web Design Wolverhampton
    December 9, 2013

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with sliders. We’re trying to move away from them, but clients still want them.

Flash intros, big forms and excessive typeface use should have become extinct long ago!

20. The Next Idea
    December 9, 2013

I agree with most of your points except the first two, partially. I think sliders are still acceptable and circular script logos are not so popular, and they will keep their position in web designing. The main point of your article is the complicated designs, with which I am strongly agreed, as because of the increase in use of mobile devices simple web designs are becoming popular.

21. Alex from We Rock Your Web
    December 10, 2013

Sliders too often get a bad rap. They are very design sensitive, but can be effective if implemented correctly. Conversion rates also greatly vary by industry.

22. crea7ive
    December 12, 2013

What would replace the sliding banners? I think they are still using too.

23. Peter
    December 15, 2013

While I agree with some of this, I do think think sliders will go away entirely. Sliders serve a purpose such as marketing. Flash will go away too and become primarily a niche product.

24. Mystik Creation
    December 16, 2013

Web design trends changes continuously as time passes. It’s a nice idea to change with time and adopt recent trends in order to achieve users attention.

Finally, It’s a nice article which perfectly guide us about web design trends which will disappear in 2014, So it’s information to web designer to be skilled in new user web design trends.

25. laura – custom logo
    December 17, 2013

nice post Maryam and i agree with you that all these trends will definitely get back in 2014. In my opinion short and snappy web with apparent portfolio, easy contact process and simple call to action will rule 2014.

26. Cary Reinstein
    December 17, 2013

Just make parallax go away. Every user I’ve discussed this regrettable trend (fad, really) with has hated it. People find it disconcerting and gimmicky.

27. Charles
    December 18, 2013

good post, everyone talks about tendences that will stay but no one talks about techiques that will disappear.

28. Skytemedia
    December 18, 2013

Great article! We look forward to using this at our Leicester web design agency.

29. Brigitte
    December 18, 2013

Thanks for a great article. Using loads of different fonts is the first I’d like to see go! It just confuses the client. Simple is better.

30. Carl
    December 19, 2013

Quite probably, I doubt that sliders will disappear and circular logos too, but the rest for sure is in the past. Though I think that many business owners forget to redesign their website periodically.

31. Creative Graphics
    December 20, 2013

Fantastic article! Thanks for a great Article.

32. Joel Black
    December 21, 2013

It surprises me how many clients we have to talk out of sliding banners on the homepage. I will be glad to see these things go!

33. keith
    December 23, 2013

Carl, I agree, sliders disappearing altogether is highly doubtful, at least not in 2014.

I also agree with the rest of the 2014 “outs”. These concepts have seen their last days. I am looking forward to implementing a few 2014 trends on website upgrades, soon! Great article, thanks!

34. Barbara
    December 28, 2013

Sliding banners can take forever to load and often wind up getting stuck. Add the excessive use of fonts and it can make website visitors dizzy. It will be good to phase these out in 2014.

35. Michael Nelson
    January 2, 2014

Great article Maryam. I agree that sliders are a thing of the past. I think today’s internet user is much more sophisticated and the slideshows are ignored. Sure, they might look nice, but they don’t add any real value for the visitor. I think web designers like them the most :-)

The other items are spot on, though I thought Flash was gone a long time ago.

36. Curtis Taylor
    January 20, 2014

Great article but I think only half of it is relevant. Flash intro’s died a few years ago and when done right Sliders are a great tool for marketing your value proposition. These items on your list cater more toward the minimalist design & experience perspective and unfortunately this is a trend that will be replaced by the next trend that Apple comes out with next. Understanding our target audience allows to create applicable and friendly user interfaces for maximizing their experience on our websites. Keeping our customers best interest in mind should outbid a style trend in every circumstance.

37. austin web design
    January 30, 2014

Bye bye flash, homepage sliders, and long webforms! Thank goodness…

Our team at Volume Designs isn’t allowed to incorporate many of the design elements/techniques that you mentioned, for the same reason you mentioned them. It is time to stop using them.

Thanks for sharing!