13 Pure CSS Techniques for Creating JavaScript-like Interactions

By / May 18, 2010 / Tutorials

We all know that JavaScript allows us to do great things when it comes to user interfaces, but with a little imagination and creativity, the same types of effects can be created with only CSS. Here are 13 tutorials that teach you how to push the limits of CSS and make it do things that we’re not accustomed to it doing. You’ll notice that some of these techniques can be very useful, while others are simple for proving it can be done.

How To Create a Pure CSS Polaroid Photo Gallery

CSS Image Switcher

Pure Css Line Graph

CSS Image Switcher

Pure CSS Timeline

1. AEXT.NET MAGAZINE
    May 18, 2010

Hi Henry, nice showcase and thanks for including my tutorial here! Much appreciated!

2. Rilwis
    May 18, 2010

Very nice effect. Hope CSS3 is fully supported in all browsers soon.

3. tgpo
    May 18, 2010

If only I could use these. Unfortunately, I still have to support IE6. When will that browser ever die?

4. Webstandard-Blog
    May 18, 2010

Very nice collection, but if you want some more don’t miss Bouncing Navigation (CSS3-Animation Tutorial)!

5. Ben Petersen
    May 18, 2010

Ha! CSS3 will definitely rock when it is fully supported.

6. Vladimir
    May 18, 2010

The potential of the CSS3 is just incredible.

Few weeks ago I published CSS3 Action Framework http://code.google.com/p/css3-action-framework/ and many things that I wrote in JavaScript today can be done with CSS3.

• claudio
      May 18, 2010

Hey, i saw that, i has something similar in mind. i created (…still working…) on a tool: “class optimizer”, designed to select the classes that you really use out of a framework, the link is below cheers…

7. Sumeet Chawla
    May 18, 2010

CSS3 is really powerful and a lot of jQuery tricks will become obsolete once CSS3 is standardized and supported by all the browsers :)

I didn’t like the content slider (even though props to the author for implementing it in such an awesome way) because if the user wants to go to the previous page, then on clicking the back button, the previous slide is being displayed rather than going to the previous page :|

8. Damian Smith
    May 18, 2010

I didn’t realise how much you could actually do with CSS3!

All I have been using so far is drop shadows and the odd curved corner. It’s a shame really because I do like my sites to be as compliant as possible and usually have the w3c compliance on the bottom of every site, but using these techniques that is no longer possible… although… I found a way to link it so it shows CSS3 compliance results only :)

Other downer is the amount of people that will actually be able to view CSS3! Im pretty sure that most people still use IE and IE is poor with CSS3.

Still, some really nice examples of CSS here, really like the Polaroid photo effect, would work well with a lightbox gallery or obviously a CSS version.

9. Jordan Walker
    May 18, 2010

Very nice list of effects. CSS is starting to come into its own.

10. Sara
    May 18, 2010

Thanks for the great tips!

11. Chris Mower
    May 18, 2010

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

12. @scottcorgan
    May 18, 2010

Dang, I was excited about JQuery. I guess I have to get excited that IE probably owns Javascript and therefore won’t support the CSS that kills it. Hmm, conspiracy?

13. Teylor Feliz (Admix Web)
    May 18, 2010

Thanks for including my two tutorials, “How to Create a Fancy Image Gallery with CSS3″ and “Creating a Bubble Coda Style with CSS3.” I am very honored to be included! Great list and Thanks for sharing!

14. Shaimifch
    May 18, 2010

Hi Henry! thank you a lot for the awesome compilation.

15. Iowa personal
    May 18, 2010

Great collection thanks for the round up filled with tutorials and advice.

16. Michael Pehl
    May 18, 2010

Thanks for sharing. Some stuff will be pretty useful :)

17. Anything Graphic
    May 18, 2010

Dude, this is freaking awesome and so useful. Thank you for such a great compilation!

18. Xcellence IT
    May 19, 2010

awesome collection of tutorials…

thanks for sharing this wonderful resources…

I’m going to put css polaroid photo gallery in of our clients’ site i’m working on…

thanks for this great idea…

Xcellence IT

19. ddeja
    May 19, 2010

Great collection! Can’t wait to use some of those techniques on my websites. Becouse of the JS they are getting heavier and heavier every day…

Thank you one more time.

20. Teylor Feliz
    May 19, 2010

I would to add the Animated CSS3 Horizontal Menu too.

21. Pete
    May 20, 2010

Exciting times ahead!

22. Tim
    August 2, 2010

You put “CSS Image Switcher” twice, the second time wrongly titling the CSS form hints tut

23. Blending Colours
    February 13, 2012

Very useful stuff. Thx for links!